Dog House Temp coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by cmcgoun, Apr 17, 2009.

1. cmcgoun

cmcgoun Chillin' With My Peeps

Hey, I am buying two more chickens and am going to put them ina dog house for temporary housing. What do I have to do to prepare it for them?

2. cmcgoun

Anyone?!?!?

3. coffeelady3

coffeelady3 Froths Milk for Hard Cash

Jun 26, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    If you're worried about predators, it would be a good a idea to build a door that you can lock at night. If you do this make sure that there's another source of ventilation. Also, I made a free standing roost out of 1x3 that is removable and has a built in droppings board so they have something to sit on at night. Here's a pic of that...

[​IMG]

4. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

I used a dog house in my big dog kennel until I was able to build the bigger coop and then again when I had chicks.

Are you needing nestboxes and all of that or just a place for them to roost for the night?

5. cmcgoun

Probably just a place for them to roost, because I am integrating full grown hens into a new area, and am keeping them seperate from my other hens for a little bit so they get used to each other. From what I understand when you integrate a hen into a different place they wont lay. [​IMG]

6. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Depends on the hen. lol

Get yourself one of those plastic dog houses that comes in 2 peices. Halfway inside, attach at 2x4 with some screws from side to side for a roost. Put the roof on backwards, basicly so you have openings at both ends. On the end where the opening is on the top half make a little flap. This is where you will collect eggs from if your get any.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by