Dog House to "Special Needs" Coop

Aunt Angus

🐓+🦆+🐐=🎪
5 Years
Jul 16, 2018
Nevada County, CA
Just picked up this here dog house off Craigslist. Has just over 10 sq ft of interior floor space, which should be fine for our 2 Polish who have special needs (Myrtle is partially blind and Twiggy has a slipped tendon that couldn't be corrected). They won't be able to join the main flock, but that's ok! We got this!
20220625_181504.jpg

My plan is to add ventilation/hardware cloth at the front and back gables and under the eaves, create access doors/add vinyl flooring for easier cleaning, and turn the entrance into a pop door. We will also make a run to attach to it. The coop will need to stay on the ground since our slipped-tendon girl can't easily climb a ramp, though she'll have to navigate the door's lip there. I'll add a low roost inside to keep our partially-blind girl out of drafts. When they're older, I will add a nesting box.

This coop will be kept in our front yard so I will have easy access to them, and so they will have easy access to our fenced yard. They will only be allowed supervised foraging time, though, because they are waaaay too vulnerable to predators.

It'll be a lopsided coop for two lopsided chickens!
20220622_193257.jpg

That is great to hear you figured out a plan for your newest chickens. Those sure our some fluffy chickens. I have one question. Where are there heads? I see where heads should be, but I see no beaks or eyes.
That's a "bird's eye view" (no pun intended). I promise they have faces underneath their floofs.
20220625_192956.jpg

Here - these should help:
20220615_231206.jpg

20220615_231749.jpg

Now I can see their cute little faces. I knew they were hiding in there somewhere 😂. I am guessing the bottom one is twiggy. Twiggy has an amazing hair do!
Oh, she's gorgeous! I think that saved her life, tbh. Her previous owner really wanted a frizzle, so she really tried to fix Twiggy's leg. I think had she been smooth-feathered, she might have met a different fate.

Oh, she's gorgeous! I think that saved her life, tbh. Her previous owner really wanted a frizzle, so she really tried to fix Twiggy's leg. I think had she been smooth-feathered, she might have met a different fate.
It sounds like she is a really lucky girl and is going to have a great home.

I hope so. I worry about that leg as she gains weight...
Yeah. I was luckily with my duck with the slipped tendon. She got it as an adult. I think because she is a runner, it never really shortened. She will never fully heal.

From what I understand, the young ones that it is not fixed on, they learn to get around and do ok. But I don't understand the worry.

I have a special needs duck! Both legs have slipped tendons. I have her in a pen with two healthy ducks partitioned off from her. Just yesterday before I separated them I heard her peeping really loud, they started pecking her. She had raw skin on her wings with no feathers left. I was so mad at the other ducks. But I guess it’s a thing to get rid of the weak in the flock.
Good luck with your girls. I’m committed to giving the time “Puddles” needs to survive. I haden’t thought about her getting heaver as she grows and it affecting her ability to move. 🤦‍♀️
She have some white bantam frizzles that are soooo fluffy. They are amazing. I also have some self blue Cochin bantams , (among many other breeds), they are so sweet. I’m impressed with their friendliness. Especially the roos.
I think I’m a chicken hoarder….
Thanks for posting your pics. Now I’m thinking of getting some polish.

Back
Top Bottom