Dog House Tractor

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by dixygirl, May 18, 2008.

1. dixygirl

dixygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So I have decided to use this dog house for my tractor.
    I want to add lawnmower wheels to it and attach a run.
    The problem is i also need to have an opening somewhere to get in to clean and collect eggs. I have a circular saw and am handy but I can't decide where to cut a door or add a nest box.

Any ideas?

PS: This is about 3'x4' and VERY heavy. It will house 2 white chickens.

Last edited: May 18, 2008
  2. dixygirl

dixygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    When I attach the run/ cage and wheels, I hope it looks like a nicer version of this
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Still I need help with where I should cut an acess door.

3. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    I keep looking at it and trying to see the best way to make it work for you. How hard would it be to hinge the roof? That way, if you put the nest box in the back, the chickens still will have room for protection inside the house.. the nest box needs to be 14"x14" for a standard size chicken. It seems it would make it easier to collect the eggs, so you don't have to crawl on your belly to collect the eggs. Otherwise, you can cut a opening in the side, and make a hinged door for you to reach in... but seems awkward to me.

4. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    I know there are people out there with better ideas for this dog house tractor. Help dixygirl out!

5. yellowdragon

yellowdragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Springville, Indiana
    I have a Dog house I use. It is a front to back slanted roof and the whole top comes off. I think yours would be great with a hinged roof. You could even hinge both side (for cleaning). If you could pop off the roof form the frame it would be easier to see what could be done. For the pen, I have seen people make panels that hook to gether to form a box. They just unhook the pen to move the house, then hook it back once moved.
    Good luck

6. Jacky'sMamma

Jacky'sMamma Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    Antelope, CA
    I agree, hinge the roof

7. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I agree and would try to hinge half of the roof.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by