Dog house used for a coop? Would this work?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Bec, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

Ok, so I have been drawn into the world of Silkies and decided it is time to get me some of those cute little fluffies!

I have a large dog house that was a "nest" for my goose for the past 2 years. She has found a new place to have her nest next to me koi pond so that means the dog house is vacant!

Would I be able to put it up on legs and attach a run? I am thinking I could fit 4 silkies being that they would only basically sleep and lay eggs in there.

Would this work out ok?

2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I took an old dog coop, and made it into a two section breeding/grow out pen with 2 large runs.

3. Bec

I just measured the inside of it and it is just under 4 ft from front to back and just under 3 from side to side. It is 3 feet tall on the inside.
    I was thinking I could put it up on 2 ft leg, that way they will have shelter if they didn't want to go in, they could go under.

4. redbugs13

redbugs13 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2009
    Southwest Washington
    I just finished my chicken house (which is a converted dog house) yesterday and attached a 10 x 10 dog kennel for the run. It still needs some finishing touches. I got the dog house off of craigslist, but then I started taking it apart to frame in the nest boxes and a window, and everything was rotten, so we tore it all down and dh reconstructed it. Here are some pics of it how it turned out. We put it up on 2 ft posts, Im gonna use underneath for storage for food and shavings.
    [​IMG]

I made it so the whole back swings open for cleaning.
    [​IMG]

Here is my cat making sure the nest boxes are cozy!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 6, 2009
  5. Bec

Oh Very Nice!! I really like the nest boxes on the outside of it! I may have to do that, then they would have even more inside room!

Thanks for the pics, gave me some good ideas! I really like how it looks up on legs! [​IMG]

6. jonesgirl

jonesgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Nevada
    I made my dog house into a coop for my new chicks too, but I didn't put it on legs.. I'll have to get pics later...

7. raneydayfarm

raneydayfarm Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2009
    I have a pair of cochins in a dog house that we converted to a chicken house. It's only the two of them, and we gave them a nice size run to go with it. I am anxious to see how it works out with them, so far they like it and she has laid 3 eggs in it already. We are hoping to do more small mini-houses like this for our breeding pairs if all goes well.

8. Bec

I would love to see pictures of everyone's coops that are made from dog houses!!

The more ideas I can get, the better!

9. coffeelady3

coffeelady3 Froths Milk for Hard Cash

Jun 26, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    Here's mine....

[​IMG]

The girls are going to get a new 6x6 chain link kennel for a run this summer.

Here's the set up on the inside....

[​IMG]

Everything on the inside is removable for easy cleaning. The nest box is a rubbermaid container, and the roost is free standing.

Here's a pic of the roost, complete with built in droppings board...

[​IMG]

I also added a door that I can lock at night. The girls haven't complained so far, and they've been in there for a year now.

10. Bec

Ooohh, I love that roost Idea!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by