1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

dog house

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by k625, Sep 13, 2007.

1. k625

k625 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2007
    Florida
    Alrighty ive given up on my previous coop/old desk piece I was going to use. I am thinking about ordering this, but was not sure about size and make. I have 4 silkies. I will post the dimension..do you think they will fit at night. I will be putting a door on here to lock them in, and wire of the window holes. Also it says its made of out fir wood, but treated on the ouside with a cedar stain, I know its bad for small animals like when you use shavings but wasnt sure about this. Let me know what you guys think please.

Material: Wood
    Wood: Fir
    Finish: Cedar Stain
    Size: Small
    Door Dimensions: 12W x 12H inches
    Interior Dimensions: 21L x 19W x 21H inches
    Exterior Dimensions: 27L x 26W x 23H inches
    Dog Size: Small
    Assembly Time: 20 minutes
    Brand: Merry Products
    Door Included: No
    Removable Roof: Yes
    Raised Panel Floor: Yes

http://www.doghouses.com/dog-houses...MP014&gbid=Merry_Products_Ice_Cream_Dog_House

2. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    For the cost, you can get more. Look for unfinshed doghouse ktis on google. I got a XL on for 125 with shipping. Put it together in 20 minutes. The smaller ones were about $80.

Its cute though.

3. k625

Aug 14, 2007
    Florida
    I found it a bit cheaper, with shipping 101, but I will keep searching! Thank you so mucn. Does anyone know about the cedar? Alot of these dog houses I see are made of cedar, and I know its bad for some animals. Any ideas??

4. k625

Aug 14, 2007
    Florida
  5. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Well i liked the the last 2 the best........but one is bigger and you want them to have room.....but the one above the bigger one looked better. You have a tough decision to make. You might look on craigslist for a few days. There always seems to be a dog house on there and you might find something better.

6. k625

Aug 14, 2007
    Florida
    alrighty, sounds good to me. I need some other help though lol. We got these 4 chickens thinking this was all going to be easy and cheap. Mom only wanted to, I came home with 4...she was mad. Told her I couldnt build cage, so Had to hire someone. That cost alot of money..mom not happy. Now im telling here that they need a secure place inside of the coop at night so nothing reaches through the wire, well then we found this thing in the garage...turing out to be too much of a hastle, just easier to buy. So now shes all angry. Mone money money tha we dont have you know...but I just want them to be safe. How and I get mom to understand? She just does not get it!

7. TxChiknRanchers

TxChiknRanchers Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2007
    Southeast Texas
    Ok not a chicken expert, but since I have been dealing with these wonderful little pooooh machines I have learned a couple of things.

Since you live in Fla. I suggest whatever you use u either make it bottom less or make it with a screened bottom and a poooh tray that you can take out and clean regularly. Since cold is not a problem there.

If you use the dog house ( which looks fine) put it together with hinges on top to open to clean and wash out cause there is gonna be some stink up in there if you know what I mean.

You can build some thing with scrap boards or old crates cause cold is not a problem for u just make it cozy from rain and what not

Last edited: Sep 13, 2007
  8. k625

Aug 14, 2007
    Florida
    lol sounds good to me. I am so new at this, any ideas are greatly appreciated. I think I saw a dog house somwhere that had a removeable bottom, I will keep looking, no such luck on craigs list yet.

9. TxChiknRanchers

TxChiknRanchers Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2007
    Southeast Texas
    Cant stress enough to go cheap( mostly for mom's sake) and you in the long run cause if mom is not happy nobody is happy.

Scrap boards with cracks will be OK as long as the roof is secure.

Built mine with old fence boards and our BO's cant wait to roost there in the evening

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by