Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics

centrarchid

Crossing the Road
14 Years
Sep 19, 2009
Holts Summit, Missouri
This will be brief. I have barn with groups of chickens penned in 10 x 10 dog pens. Another dog pen houses a dog during night and much of the day to keep predators from coming into barn. Another dog is penned at house and allowed out at night to patrol with its mother that is out 24 / 7. Barn has in total about two dozen chickens that are allowed to free-range the immediate vicinity of barn during the day. Barn is about 120 feet from property boundary. Neighbors their have nearly 10 dogs, a combination of Huskies, Pitbulls and a Rotwieller x German Shepherd. Fencing at property boundary designed for cattle so not dog tight. Neighbor dogs have been crossing property boundary for at least last couple months and steadily encroaching further over time to where they come into barn and challenge penned dog. The dogs also took a hen a couple weeks ago. Fencing started to be upgraded at property boundary until dogs demonstrated another access point that is not boundary with their owners and stretch much larger than I can afford for short term. Another inner perimeter is being constructed, also to protect incoming sheep and goats, especially during winter months. It is not yet complete and dogs move freely around it. This morning dogs came across and went after chickens. Old dog free-range all the time could not keep them out but did have some chickens find protection by moving in her direction towards house. I saw issue so shot one of neighbors dogs. Later owner was informed as his dogs came back over again that his dogs over in my barn area, actually in barn killing chickens. I came well into my property to collect his dogs. I informed to collect his dog carcass as well which he did. Many details left out, but threats leveled at what I presume are my dogs and both parties contacted county law enforcement. I'm within my rights, but may still have to deal with a civil suite in regards to loss of their dog. My dogs with my help have driven their dogs off multiple times. My defending chickens not held by dog owners to be sufficient so targeting their dogs.

I will be getting real particular with labelling property boundaries, but will have a lot of trouble making so entire property boundary is dog tight. This is the first time in my life to employ no trespassing. largely to prevent neighbors from coming on to embolden their dogs.

That’s a tough situation. Would it be possible to put up multiple strands of electric fence at the area where they are coming onto your property?
It will require a great deal of clearing.

I'm now dealing with dog owner attempting to reach my via text and asking questions to which answers are already known. Based on what I overheard earlier today, the intent is to stir up conflict.

You should put up a camera system. You can use it in court if it goes that far. You should contact animal control and possibly law enforcement. Talk to them about all legal avenues. Some places allow you to set traps to protect your livestock.

i
I have an attorney, but does not cover agriculture related issues. This is agriculture.
agricultural or not, it’s a simple property issue. any competent attorney can handle a case of trespassing.

id hit the neighbor with a strong cease and desist that outlines exactly what your rights are regarding their dogs when they cross on to your property.

that way when it happens again, that letter os your proof that you gave them ample warning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom