Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics

centrarchid

Crossing the Road
14 Years
Sep 19, 2009
Holts Summit, Missouri
This will be brief. I have barn with groups of chickens penned in 10 x 10 dog pens. Another dog pen houses a dog during night and much of the day to keep predators from coming into barn. Another dog is penned at house and allowed out at night to patrol with its mother that is out 24 / 7. Barn has in total about two dozen chickens that are allowed to free-range the immediate vicinity of barn during the day. Barn is about 120 feet from property boundary. Neighbors their have nearly 10 dogs, a combination of Huskies, Pitbulls and a Rotwieller x German Shepherd. Fencing at property boundary designed for cattle so not dog tight. Neighbor dogs have been crossing property boundary for at least last couple months and steadily encroaching further over time to where they come into barn and challenge penned dog. The dogs also took a hen a couple weeks ago. Fencing started to be upgraded at property boundary until dogs demonstrated another access point that is not boundary with their owners and stretch much larger than I can afford for short term. Another inner perimeter is being constructed, also to protect incoming sheep and goats, especially during winter months. It is not yet complete and dogs move freely around it. This morning dogs came across and went after chickens. Old dog free-range all the time could not keep them out but did have some chickens find protection by moving in her direction towards house. I saw issue so shot one of neighbors dogs. Later owner was informed as his dogs came back over again that his dogs over in my barn area, actually in barn killing chickens. I came well into my property to collect his dogs. I informed to collect his dog carcass as well which he did. Many details left out, but threats leveled at what I presume are my dogs and both parties contacted county law enforcement. I'm within my rights, but may still have to deal with a civil suite in regards to loss of their dog. My dogs with my help have driven their dogs off multiple times. My defending chickens not held by dog owners to be sufficient so targeting their dogs.

I will be getting real particular with labelling property boundaries, but will have a lot of trouble making so entire property boundary is dog tight. This is the first time in my life to employ no trespassing. largely to prevent neighbors from coming on to embolden their dogs.

Dogs came in, same two that really go after livestock. The walked in along barnyard perimeter fence too close for camera to see. Camera lowered by two feet. Honey by herself could not push them out so I helped by walking with her shining light on the dogs as they moved back to their yard. I shined neighbors house which got frmale’s attention. She came out and I calmly said they are trying to get at my animals (goats) again. She said nothing as she grappled with huskie. The male then came out and got the larger dog. It appears to be named Calliope. Neither party acknowledged me. I told Flo and Honey good job.

Now we up the stakes. Next time I go out only in my underwear. That will give them a reason to call the cops!

i
I have an attorney, but does not cover agriculture related issues. This is agriculture.
agricultural or not, it’s a simple property issue. any competent attorney can handle a case of trespassing.

id hit the neighbor with a strong cease and desist that outlines exactly what your rights are regarding their dogs when they cross on to your property.

that way when it happens again, that letter os your proof that you gave them ample warning.

I very much have in mind to document so others can see what happens. To be clear, at no point was I asking for advice. This is not my first experience with neighbor dogs, but I have learned from that experience and gotten better each time. Most threads with a similar starting point are boiling over with too much emotion making so gleaning good options difficult.

Additionally, a large proportion of poultry keepers are likely very limited in their ability to lawyer up owing to financial limitations.

Their dogs came over in force today. Honey and Pup Pup with my help pushed the dogs out. We did it very slowly and stopped just on our side of property boundary. One neighbor noticed intensification of barking and came out to see me and my dogs. That neighbor alerted others, and all came running out to collect their dogs as we pushed them back across the fence. There was begging for me not to shoot their dogs. The people were running and out of breath policing up the dogs. One said the dogs got out. I said "does not matter. they are not to be on my property." They appeared to think I had a firearm even though I did not. I had an adult witness on my side of fence. I stated we are witnessing the dogs doing exactly what they (neighbors owning dogs and catching them at the time) have been saying is not happening on the internet.

The main character I have been dealing with was not present, just two women from different households and a man that was lying a lot with previous conversations.

If motivated I could have dropped two dogs easily, but I kept my cool. It is the holiday season.

Below is image to be used as evidence. My house to right / east. Yellow line depicts north and west property boundaries. Blue circles are where no trespassing signs and known points of entry for dogs and humans. Blue represents new fence panel install with two paddocks on lower right / southeast for sheep and goat. Red is gate to newly installed barnyard perimeter. Red box A is home of male and female owners of huskies, male pitbull, and lighter colored rottweiler cross. Red box B is home of male owner of female pitbull and darker rottweiler cross with hip dysplasia. Owners of A are the most problematic but dogs from both residences have gone after chickens, fought with my dogs, and been in the barn. This should help make sense of things.
SATELLITE VIEW.jpg

Found evidence of chicken kills along property boundary and in the middle of their yard that was visible as I installed no trespassing signs. The dog owners had to see that. I will itemize damages to prepare for counter suite. The summation of breeding hens and POL pullets will likely be close to what dog is valued. Birds are heritage breed representing a unique strain that ................makes no difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom