Dog illness/gastro issues question??

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Cindiloohoo, Jan 26, 2010.

1. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    My dog, a year old Pit Bull female, has been sick all this week. She has diarrhea, and won't hardly eat. I haven't gotten her vaccinated yet because I can't afford to yet. She is due for vaccs this month. I have changed her food..about a month ago. She eats everything..goat pellets [​IMG] bunny pellets [​IMG] [​IMG] and well she's just gross!! She has always gotten snacks from the yard, but it has never made her sick. She eats the dog food I changed to, and doesn't seem to mind. I just cant figure out what's wrong with her and how to fix it. I have given her ginger powder in some peanut butter to soothe her tummy for the last couple days and it has seemed to help. She is losing weight and when she lays down she shakes like she's hurting. She hasn't ever acted this way before. My other older dog has a cast iron stomach and could probably eat concrete with no problem, but this little girl is having some gastro issues! What can I do to put some weight back on her and get her over this whatever ailment? I think maybe she got into something outside, but would that normally last for a week?!?! She's pitiful and I hate to see her like this! Any ideas?

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  2. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    I'm not sure. :-( I'm sorry!

I did want to say that I believe you can pick up canine vaccines at the feed store or jefferspets.com, etc, if you cannot afford the vet work up. Definitely do nothing of the sort until she's healthy again, though.

3. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Is she pooping? My guess is she ate something that was not digestable (maybe a rock?) and needs to see a vet. I feel for you, my dog needed emergency surgery a week before Christmas, cost $800 that I am still paying for. Maybe you can find a vet who will work out a payment schedule - ours did, based on letting him charge my debit card every week $50 automatically.

4. Cindiloohoo

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Quote:UGH!! sorry for you! That's an issue here...I need to go to the Dr. MYSELF and simply CAN NOT afford it AT ALL. I can't take her to the vet. They want everything up front, and well i think I have $2. I can do all her vaccs myself except rabies...when she gets better and jobs are found, but not any time soon anyway. I am really looking for some sort of home remedy type solution.

5. asher

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    I'm sure this won't be the popular opinion, but maybe there is a local rescue that would be able to take her and get her the help that she needs. You would have to surrender her to them, though. I know that's not what you want to hear, but it may just be necessary for her to live, depending on what is going on and how severe it is.

6. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

My male got really sick last summer, would barely eat and drink. I could tell he wanted to, but he would just stand there and look at it, with his head down low. He was throwing up some too, mostly liquid. Before taking him to the vet, I tried worming him w/drontal. He was back to normal within 24 hours. Because we have a few acres and they go out and poop wherever, I never did actually find wormy poop. But he must have had a heavy infestation of them to have been so sick. So if your dog's symptoms are anything like that, you might try drontal. But if not (especially if he's not drinking water), you will have to take him to the vet before long, especially if there's noticable weight loss... Hope he gets better soon......

7. Cindiloohoo

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Quote:That's why I stated the breed. They WILL kill her friendly or not. They kill all Pit Bulls here without a second glance.

8. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    OK, here is a thought, but maybe your local animal shelter can help you out with something? Maybe they have a contact with a vet who can donate something, either their services or medication?
    I know what you mean about not having the two nickels to rub together either. We are in the same boat.

9. asher

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    Quote:That's why I stated the breed. They WILL kill her friendly or not. They kill all Pit Bulls here without a second glance.

How about a breed specific rescue?

10. Cindiloohoo

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Quote:Gosh I am so STUPID!! I didn't even think of worms?!?!?! Come to think she missed her last month treatment! Things have been so crazy here...I'm trying it today! THAT is something I actually have on hand too!!! THANKS!! I'll let everyone know how it goes! I have wormed my goats and chooks, but she may still have picked something up out there...goofy poo eating dog [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by