dog injured 8 week old chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by winecountrychic, Feb 19, 2013.

1. winecountrychic

winecountrychic New Egg

Jan 28, 2013
    My dog got loose and snipped one of my chicks. It is a bit a torn skin on the hid leg. The wound is not bleeding, the chick is limping but after resting for a short while is up walking around and eating. I am wondering if there is some sort of wound care I should be doing? Now to top it all off when I was inspecting her injury I noticed she has lice. I have the poultry dust but I feel like I should wait to dust for lice until her wound is healed. Any advice would be appreciated. This is this my first experience with chickens.

2. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    I would put some neosporin/ triple antibiotic on the wound and then treat for lice. You could wrap some gauze and tape up the wound so no dust gets into it. Make sure you are in a well ventilated area when you dust her so you and her don't breath it into your lungs.

3. LaynaDon95

LaynaDon95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    x2 Doesn't sound like anything too serious. Keep watch for signs of infection and other than that, treat her for lice and let her dust bathe.

4. winecountrychic

winecountrychic New Egg

Jan 28, 2013
    I did put a little neosporin on the wound and then I changed their bedding and sprinkled DE all over the brooder and dusted the chicks with poultry dust. Thank you for the advice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by