Dog injured leg, seeking opinions

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by MinniesMomma, Oct 20, 2019.

1. MinniesMomma

MinniesMomma Songster

Apr 22, 2018
    Caldwell Tx
    My Coop
    I think my dog was kicked or stepped on by a cow. His leg is swollen , and there is a crescent-shaped bare spot on his leg , but no open wounds. He moves around freely, with a slight limp but it doesn't seem to be hindering him much. The swelling is getting worse daily; I have manipulated all of the joints on that leg and he does not act like one hurts any more than the others. I can't feel any obvious broken bone or deformity. What can I do for him until I can get him to a vet? (Of course, he is solid black, so it's hard to see a whole lot of anything.)[ edited to add, I have been icing it and have given him dog aspirin.]

his leg Injured leg and shoulder:
    20191020_083250.jpg
    20191020_081805.jpg

Normal leg:
    20191020_081830.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
  2. Lilalienangel

Lilalienangel Songster

Aug 28, 2019
    Instinctively, dogs hide pain. I hate to say it but I think there is a dislocated joint. Not much you can do besides get him to a vet ASAP. Please don't munipulate it anymore. Poor fella when is his appointment?

MarilynHukill and MinniesMomma like this.
  3. Lilalienangel

Lilalienangel Songster

Aug 28, 2019
    My dogs bone had a chip in it. I had no clue untill he jumped off the bed and snapped that bone..

MinniesMomma likes this.
  4. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Chicken Lover, Duck Therapist

Mar 11, 2017
    South Park, Colorado, USA
    If you have a way to confine him and keep him from trying to walk so much for a few days it would be good. When my dog had a broken leg if she wasn’t confined to her crate she would try and walk far more than she should.

Lilalienangel and MinniesMomma like this.
  5. MinniesMomma

MinniesMomma Songster

Apr 22, 2018
    Caldwell Tx
    My Coop
    Thank you all! I can absolutely get him to the vet tomorrow and I will keep him confined until then.

Lilalienangel and CatWhisperer like this.
  6. cassie

cassie Crowing

Mar 19, 2009
    If he moves around freely there is no dislocated joint or broken bone. The swelling may be due to trauma or bleeding inside. I think you are doing the right things. Please post after you come back from the vet.

Lilalienangel likes this.
  7. MinniesMomma

MinniesMomma Songster

Apr 22, 2018
    Caldwell Tx
    My Coop
    Will do! Thank you for the assurances:)

Lilalienangel likes this.
  8. MinniesMomma

MinniesMomma Songster

Apr 22, 2018
    Caldwell Tx
    My Coop
    So, no broken bones or dislocated joints! She has him on a steroid and an antibiotic in case he was bitten by something and the swelling is from an infection, although she couldn't find any bites. He was such a good boy! They asked me several times if he was always so calm, which he is:D

9. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Chicken Lover, Duck Therapist

Mar 11, 2017
    South Park, Colorado, USA
    This is good news! Hopefully the swelling goes down in a few days and he'll feel up to using it a bit!

MinniesMomma likes this.
  10. cassie

cassie Crowing

Mar 19, 2009
    Thank you for letting us know. The fact that the vet couldn't find any bite marks doesn't mean there aren't any. Sometimes they are very small, particularly if a bug is the culprit. The dog's hair doesn't make finding them any easier. Glad he is OK.

MinniesMomma likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: