dog injured our bantam chicken

nunya

Hatching
8 Years
Oct 21, 2011
a small dog cornered our bantam chicken Maple. She did not hurt her badly, but she is limping and I cannot find an outward sign of injury. she is throwing her left foot funny and cannot support weight well on that leg. almost like its dislocated. I don't know what to do for her.

Seperate her from the rest of the flock. Make sure she's eating and drinking. Check up and down her leg for a break, just to be sure. It will probably heal by itself.

I would do as starlover says, but I would give her another hen to keep her company. or let her see the flock.
make sure she is in a small area, with no perch.

Thanks to all that have replied about Maple. She's a funny little bird....She is still limping and favoring her leg. I do not think it is broken. She is eating and drinking fine and wants to range a bit. I am hoping that time and rest will have her back to a healthy bird soon. My daughter is beside herself with worry! She doesn't seem to be in too much pain, lets us hold her and carry her and of course feed her fresh berries by hand......she can hop on it a little now and is wanting to be back with the girls.
Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom