Dog injury question...help?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Camelot Farms, Nov 30, 2010.

1. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

Long story short...my 8 year old lab/chow mix with a bad hip 'played' for 2 hours with a 3 year old 100+lb PitBull

Now, she cant get up. When she was brought home at 5:30, she laid down and just now (8:30) attempted to get up to eat. She whimpered and it was a struggle.
    Her back end wobbled a few times before she could get her steady.
    She ate and laid back down. I thought I should get her to move around a bit and tried to get her to stand again...nope. Not even for string cheese!

So she is on her supercomfy well padded bed laying very very still.

Is there anything OTC that I can give her tonight?
    I am 99.9% certain its just muscle issues, not bone or joint.

2. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    Plain aspriin is fine. Whatever the generic size is....325 mg? Not positive. Just regular sized aspirin.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2010
  3. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    The currently recommended dosage of aspirin varies a little from publication to publication but it is between 5 and 15mg/lb every 12 hours. Since there is a range I usually pick the middle of it and go for about 10mg/lb every 12 hours. This works well and seems to be pretty safe. That works out to an aspirin tablet per 32 pounds of body weight twice a day. I have to admit that I rarely advise giving more than 2 aspirin twice a day despite the fact that some big dogs could obviously take more based on the per pound calculation.

Read more: Medication - Aspirin for Dogs

4. Whiskey Bay

Whiskey Bay Chillin' With My Peeps

You can give her 1 aspirin approx every 8 hrs for a couple of doses.Then bring her off to see if it's doing better.If not better within 48 hours,you should visit the vet.She could have played a lil too rough and torn or twisted something.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2010
  5. Camelot Farms

AShe is a big girl. Not unhealthy big, just big.
    I will go hide 2 aspirin in a cheese stick and see if that helps.
    Poor Mama.

Thank you everyone!

6. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    Labs have a lot of pain tolerance; if she's not moving around she's probably in some pain. If it is muscular (and even if its not, this won't hurt her) rub in some arnica oil, st. john's wort oil or comfrey oil in the area affected. Any of the 3 are great for bruising and soreness. St. John's wort oil is probably the best to relieve her pain.

7. maizey

maizey Chillin' With My Peeps

agree with asprin, but if not better after the asprin she may need a steroid shot from the vet. Keep her warm. If she seems to struggle when trying to get up, or needs to go out to potty you can take a sheet or towel and use it like a sling under her belly to support some of her weight..put it right back under her pelvis, should be touching her back legs and use it to gently help pick her up and support her weight. (might want to remove it briefly if she squats to tinkle). If its minor, she should be up by morning, though gingerly im sure

8. Camelot Farms

I had 81mg low dose on hand so I did some math and she is now medicated and laying in her bed

She wont be going outside anymore tonight. Its raining here and she wouldnt go out if you dragged her. Then she would just faint anyhow. Really. She faints.
    Thats how I know she is really hurting. Normally she would be in the basement under my sons desk in a semi-coma with this storm

Hopefully she learned her lession about playing with the big boys....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by