Dog just killed my Roo

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by coffeemama, Aug 2, 2008.

1. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    First of all, I live in town, and just found this amazing roo who only crows in the morning till about 9am. So I had been crating him at night, and putting him out during the day. It was like a dream come true to me to have a roo at my house.
    Anyway, the dog that killed him is our GSP. Yes, we have a bird hunting dog and chickens. Not a good combo, but it is what it is. I didn't fully latch the door behind me, and he got it open and jumped the gate, and by the time I got over to him, the roo was crushed.
    If only someone had a non-chicken farm that would take him, I would get rid of him in a heartbeat. It's not really his fault-he's bred to go after birds. It's more my fault than anyone's. Anyway, just had to share with my fellow BYCers.

2. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    That is very sad. Poor roo. JJ

3. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Sorry about your rooster - it can be hard to always be 100% vigilant when you have dogs and chickens that have to be separated.

hugs...

4. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    I'm so sorry you lost that special Roo. I'm glad you understand that your dog was being a dog. I know how hard that is.

I hope you are able to figure out what's best for your dog.

5. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

I'm so sorry about your special boy.

6. CathyB

CathyB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    PA
    So sorry about the poor little roo.

7. SuperChicken007

SuperChicken007 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Trapped in my computer
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

so sorry! if i were there i would have smacked that dog and sent him/her to his/her crate for all day. and given him/her no dinner.

8. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    Yes, I totally understand he was just doing what he is bred to do. We got our bird dogs before we had chickens, and next time, you can bet we won't get breeds like them. I am at least glad that the roo died instantly, but I feel so bad for the poor hens who were out there with him and witnessed his violent death. It just makes me sick.

9. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    I am truly sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 2, 2008
  10. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    GSPs can be a big pain in the butt sometimes. I'm glad mine is old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by