Dog keeps killing hens

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by PrincessChicky, Jun 16, 2017.

1. PrincessChicky

PrincessChicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2012
    Dallas area
    Insult on injury, it is *my* own dog that is doing it!

I have a 2 year old dauchshund that is responsible for killing 4 of my hens in the past 2 months. We have built a pretty good fence around the coop area to prevent more killing which resulted in my americauna getting eaten this morning. I think the problem is that the hens are getting on top of the fence and going over. I've clipped their wings and they're still going up and over.
    What else can I do? Netting over the area near the fence? Any suggestions?
    Thanks DSC_0075.JPG

penny1960 likes this.
  2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    I'm sorry for your losses. Unfortunately that fence is not nearly high enough to keep birds in even with clipped wings. You'll need to raise the fence height and/or enclose the top.

bobbi-j, Wyorp Rock and penny1960 like this.
  3. Ol Grey Mare

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Also, is the wire portion covered over with smaller wire such as hardware cloth? The openings in the fencing used are to large to provide security

penny1960 likes this.
  4. PrincessChicky

PrincessChicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2012
    Dallas area
    What's the best material to use to enclose the top?

penny1960 likes this.
  5. Ol Grey Mare

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Any number of things will work, it depends on how secure you need the top to be (just keep them in our keep things out). To just keep the birds in you could use poultry betting or even any number of plastic/light mesh/netting. If you want it to function to also keep potential threats out you'll want heavy gauge wire, hardware cloth, solid roofing

6. Ol Grey Mare

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Presumably you want to maintain access for people so adjust height accordingly.....if going for a netting top a tall pole in the center may work

penny1960 likes this.
  7. Farmer Connie

Farmer Connie Being followed by a moon shadow Premium Member

Feb 28, 2017
    North Central Florida
    Our Boarder Collie had that habit. It was a nightmare. Took 2 years to teach him not to attack them. A lot of ours free range.
    We would have to muzzle him and keep him Close to the hens while his jaw was clamped. Not all day of course. Just an hour here and there. Eventually he realized it was a form of punishment. Now if he misbehaves, we hold the muzzel up so he can see it and he flips the I am an Angel switch on and snaps out of the desire to misbehave.
    Took for ever but we had patients because we love him. He is a smart dog. Good luck..

penny1960 likes this.
  8. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    I think wings can be clipped tight enough to keep birds in that setup. Make clip bilateral and close. Properly done I can keep even my games from going over 24". If approach used, then post a picture of clip job on open wings before putting scissors down.

penny1960 likes this.
  9. penny1960

penny1960 la la land awaits Premium Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Mossyrock, WA
    use 6 0r 8 ft 2 x 4 with feet all four sides rounded top of 1/4 12 x 12 inch plywood for top paint all prior to use, you round the top board to protect the wire but gives you the height to walk even chicken wire 1 inch will keep them in

10. GGBEAR

GGBEAR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2014
    Rotherham
    @centrarchid what is this clipping you are talking about?
    I have fencing maybe slightly higher than that and I have 1 chicken that continually jumps the fence do you have any pics?

centrarchid likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by