1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

dog kennel attachment

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by cannsyl, Sep 26, 2015.

1. cannsyl

cannsyl Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2015
    So I'm planning on building a hen house and attaching it to my dog kennel as a run. I'm wondering how others attached their houses to the kennels? Did you cut a hole in the chain link? Did you just bend the wires? Seems that would be difficult. Not sure how to have my hen house pop door open into the kennel/run.

2. StevenKarin

StevenKarin New Egg

May 25, 2015
    Washington
    I would take the end panel of the run off. Purchase 2 posts and set them on each side of the coop. Streach new fabric from the open end of the run to the new posts next to the coop.

3. cannsyl

Sep 22, 2015
    It's like one sheet of chain link stretched around the frame. So I can't take off none end. I think I'm going to have to cut a hole and frame it. Has anyone else done that?

4. cannsyl

Sep 22, 2015
    I also scored so wood laminate flooring today. I have 3 boxes of it, anyone ever use wood laminate for a hen house floor? Of course I would cover it with shavings but I thought it would be easy to clean.

5. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    It maybe ok at first, but you would need a thick layer of shavings. Don't you think that over time it would get wet and begin to rot?

I have a mini-coop that i made from pvc tubing and i cut a door and framed it. If fit this to a run, which is open at one end, which i fit next to the mini-coop to mum and chicks can get a bit of exercise during the chicks' first 2 weeks or so.

6. cannsyl

Sep 22, 2015
    I thought about rot, but lots of people seem to just use plywood...seems like they would have the same issue right? Maybe I can weather proof it and that would help it last? Just going through ideas for the moment...

7. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    There's no reason why you should not give it a go and weatherproofing would help extend its life-span.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by