Dog kennel chicken coop

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by joelephants1, Nov 4, 2016.

1. joelephants1

joelephants1 New Egg

Nov 4, 2016
    Louisiana
    Im planning to use my 10x10 outdoor kennel for chickens. Ive never had any and dont know all the requirements. If anyone has pictures of theirs or how theyve done it I'd love to see them!

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and :welcome! Great to have you aboard. I am assuming the kennel will serve as the run and there will be an additional secure coop to close them up in at night? I ask because chickens have size requirements when it comes to coop and run size. Here's a link that explains these requirements: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/how-much-room-do-chickens-need
    Additionally, be mindful of avian and climbing predators as well. You may want to do some research in the Learning Center here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center
    It is loaded with valuable insight for the new chicken keeper.
    Also, if you'd like to chat with fellow Louisiana chicken keepers, find the LA thread in this link: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you
    You've got a little research to do but it will be a fun journey. Enjoy it and ask any questions you have along the way. Best wishes! :)

1 person likes this.
  3. amynrichie

amynrichie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2013
    Nebraska Panhandle
    If you use the search function, there are a lot of previous discussions on this same topic.

Welcome to chicken keeping!

1 person likes this.
  4. BrendaJ

BrendaJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    Oregon
    Hello from Oregon & welcome to BYC. Looks like great info above. I use dog kennel panels for my run as well as a walk in coop style for the ladies. The fencing is convenient but predators can & will pull chickens through the kennel fence. Its not pretty when it happens. There are lots of options and reinforcements you can look into.. Best of luck [​IMG]

5. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello there, and welcome to Backyard chickens! You have gotten some great advice and links, so I'll just say hi! :frow

1 person likes this.
  6. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG] It is great to have you as part of BYC!

1 person likes this.
  7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

1 person likes this.
  8. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Welcome to [​IMG]. @redsoxs has given you some good links.The space will depend on the amount of hens you have and aggression.If you ever have fighting the solution would be to give them more space.

9. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

10. N F C

N F C Happy T-Day! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Good luck with your coop build and thanks for joining us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by