Dog Kennel for run?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by schnebbles, Feb 5, 2013.

1. schnebbles

schnebbles Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2013
    Indian Lake, Ohio
    I wondered if an 8x8x4 kennel would be good or bad for a run? I'm new - still learning everything. A kennel might be bad since it's got the door? I'm thinking cost too - the kennel I could get used for under $80. we are going to build a coop. I want it where my chickens can go in and out on their own (to the run). Any suggestions or ideas? I need to do some good reading on the coop section but I thought id the kennell might be a good idea/deal I might go ahead and get it.

Thanks!

2. tdgill

tdgill Chillin' With My Peeps

sounds like a good deal. I vote get it. :) you can always work up something. I also have a kennel, I use as an extra all purpose pen. Be advised that things can dig under, climb over, reach thru and plan accordingly. :) I have hardware or cage wire around the bottom half of mine and chain link over the top. Wish I had a real roof but have a tarp tented inside...

3. schnebbles

schnebbles Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2013
    Indian Lake, Ohio
    Yes, I was thinking of a roof if I get it. Our yard is privacy fenced so I hope that eliminates predators. I will be aware of that problem though.

4. Heiko27

Heiko27 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2011
    For predators wrap in chicken wire, and bury that or some material under and add a roof. We didn't have a roof or material and coons came in :(

5. Tigertrea

Tigertrea Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2012
    LaSalle Ontario Canada
    I have a dog run for my chicken run. I have it have chicken wire and chain link for fencing on it. On the top I have cattle fencing and chicken wire. In the summer I put a sun shade over it and in the winter I have a tarp. I also have hardware cloth skirted around it. It comes 1' up the bottom of the kennel and is skirted, buried 3" deep, about 1' out.

It works well except for the fact that that I with I'd placed it on some bricks to raise it up a bit so that I could add more dirt/sand/shavings or whatever else. I'm using my run as a compost also so, the "floor" is getting taller right now. In the spring or summer I'll dig it out about 3' then replace the dirt with new dirt to start a new compost area.

I like having a door into the run. I can access the run easily. I with my door was wider actually since I can't get my wheelbarrow into it.

6. MoonShadows

MoonShadows The Jam Man

Jan 23, 2013
    Pocono Mtns
    My Coop
    I would not depend on a privacy fence to keep predators out. I looked into pre-fab kennels, and the spaces between the gate and the poles is large enough for some predators to get in. I not only would wrap the kennel with 3' or 4' high hardware cloth, and bury it as well, I would make sure I close up those gaps in the gate and around the poles all the way up.

7. tdgill

tdgill Chillin' With My Peeps

forgot to add - I have my kennel sitting on concrete

8. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Dog kennels are what I use - they work great!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by