Dog Kennel to Mobile Chicken Coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by sam03, Aug 16, 2013.

1. sam03

sam03 New Egg

Mar 20, 2013
    I have an 8'W x 8'D x 4'H dog kennel that i would like to convert to a mobile coop. I already added chicken wire to the outside of the chain link that came on it. Any ideas how to incorporate a coop into the run with out adding a lot of weight? I'm going to build nesting boxes that are built around plastic shoe boxes so they are easy to remove and clean. I have 8 chickens that free range most days but because of lots of predators i only let them out when I'm home. With it being mobile i will be moving it around the yard and garden to have them clean up and prep areas before planting. My thoughts are to build on top of the kennel so moving it around isn't too hard. Any ideas or advice? I have looked around and really haven't found anything like it. Also need to figure out a way to incorporate wheels into the kennel so moving its is easy.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  2. bradleyscott

bradleyscott Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2013
    Southeast oklahoma
    I used a tarp to cover the top of mine.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Last post on this thread has a link to some chain link accessories including wheels.

Next to search field at top of pages is 'advanced search', best way to find things on BYC.

advanced search>titles only>dog kennel coop

4. Biologrady

Biologrady Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    I had a similar set-up. I just used a piece of plywood and leaned it against one side, making a triangular tunnel for them to escape the rain and sun (notched into chain link so it couldn't fall on them). Mine were too young for nest boxes... How about you get a 3x 4 piece of corrugated plastic roofing, drill 3 or 4 holes along one edge... Wire one side to chain link about 2.5 feet off ground, so you can flip it up to be a roof of a tunnel and use your nesting boxes to support the other side... This should be really lightweight but a little more permanent than the tarp. You could also do it in a corner and put two more pieces of plastic on the sides to make even more of a wind/rain barrier. This way the only thing you have to physically take out when you move it is the nesting boxes, the walls will stay attached ant the roof too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by