dog kennel wire

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by spookyone, Apr 26, 2011.

1. spookyone

spookyone Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2011
    Hi, New here and just started my dog kennel lawn. I been looking this site over and on the dog kennel lawn can't tell if the wire is on the inside of the chainlink wire or the outside. We do have alot of raccoon and hawks in the area and some fox. What would be the best way.
    I'm picking up smaller wire today for the bottom of the kennel. Thanks,

2. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    It is a bit harder for predators to just rip it off wholesale if you put it on the inside.

That said, since all it's really intended to do is keep chickens from pokin' their heads thru the fence, and *slow down* predators reaching through, it does not matter hugely which side you put it on, IMHO.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

3. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I'd put it on the inside, to make it harder for them to work on it.

4. spookyone

spookyone Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2011
    ok thanks, anyone else ideas?

5. dbounds10

dbounds10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Well since I also have a chain link dog kennel run and I put the hardware cloth on the outside, I hope the answer is "outside" [​IMG]

6. ralleia

ralleia Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Omaha, NE
    I would put it on the inside and then use a thinner-gauge wire to "sew" it to the existing fence to prevent it from being pushed away from the fence. If "sewn" into place it will be extremely difficult for a predator to get through.

7. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I don't think it would make much difference with hardware cloth, as long as it's put on very securely. It's not stretchy like chicken wire, it's welded and rigid. So they can't stretch it to make the holes larger. Plus the holes are smaller and they couldn't get their jaws into it, like they could with chicken wire.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by