dog killed all my chickens but one

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by bigbuddha09, Oct 22, 2014.

1. bigbuddha09

bigbuddha09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2014
    nampa idaho
    my tiny dog found a way to get to the chickens yesterday as they were getting ready to go to bed. she went on a rampage killing all but two. one was smart enough to run to the coop but the other hid under a tree after being bitten and got trapped in some vines by the time i found her she was allready very weak and it looked like she had broken her legs after they got caught. Soon after she died. I have heard many ways to punish dogs that work very well but not sure they would teach her as she just mostly killed them all for fun from what i can tell. from now on at least until i can get a better fence put up they are staying in the run, im not sure if i can get other chickens to put with her this time of year but i dont want my other chicken to die from loneliness and stress, as i speak she is mostly staying in the coop scared. If anyone has any ideas i would be really appreciative it was a really sad ordeal since i raised them from hatch to when they died they were really good pets to me.

2. tblee

tblee Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2013
    lowestoft England
    Hi
    so sorry to have read your story you must be gutted, I'm not sure if your dog will ever be good around chickens i wouldn't trust her around them now that she killed your flock she would most definitely do it again, some dogs hunting instincts are just too strong especially terrier type breeds I would suggest you either get your chicken some companions or try and rehome her if you can't get any other hens at this time x

3. bigbuddha09

bigbuddha09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2014
    nampa idaho
    yeah she was originally being trained to defend them but i think she ended up getting the wrong idea when she saw us have to put one down. larger breed chihuhua mixed with a corgi.

4. tblee

tblee Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2013
    lowestoft England
    I hope you get something sorted I let my dogs loose around my chickens but I make sure I'm there as they are very good but the chickens sometimes chest bump them and give them attitude especially my little growers as they have been brought up around the dogs but in general they all get along together, my dogs are a pack of labs, pugs and a poodle I've only ever witnessed the dogs being playfull with them but i discourage any activities between them with all that said I wouldnt leave them alone but my neighbour does she has her dog in the garden with her hens without any issues she has a spaniel x so I guess there are some exceptions to the rule but I just wouldn't my chickens are also my pets and I just wouldn't chance it.
    Your poor little hen... I do hope you manage to find her a freind xx

5. AussieChics

AussieChics Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2014
    Adelaide Australia
    Sorry for your loss. My dog has wanted to kill since day 1. Ive tried absolutely everything you could think of to get her out of that mindset but it hasn't worked.

Unfortunately my chickens can only free range when the dogs locked in the house. And she'll just lick and scratch the door till I let her out again. If I tie her up she attacks anything around her. Its frustrating.

I hope you can find a couple more chicken friends.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by