Dog killed most of my chickens

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Bpmarmstrong, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Bpmarmstrong

Bpmarmstrong Egg-dicted

May 26, 2009
    NW, Indiana
    When I went out to my coop today all my chickens were dead or maimed.I had 25.When I went out the dog was there and it was a stray dog I didn't know what he did and just yelled at him and he left then I couldent find him.I raised them all from babies they were 2 years old and I don't know what to do now will the county do anything,.

2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    The only way you will know that is to make a phone call.

3. SilkieBantams

SilkieBantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Houston, TX
    I'd surely shoot that darn dog if he comes back again.

4. tinydancer87

tinydancer87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2011
    SE Georgia
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

I am so sorry for your loss. I would have shot that dog. Here in my county, animal control will come get the dog if I catch it. I prefer to handle it myself.

Get your gun, and get ready because he will be back looking for more.

5. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

I am very sorry that happened to you and your chickens. The county most likely won't do anything unless you can find the dog. The dog may very well be back so you could try setting a live trap, sometimes the county animal control will loan you one. If any of the injured birds survive you'll need to reinforce the coop so the dog can't get back in. Maybe consider a strand or two of hot wire around the perimeter. Again, very sorry, hope you catch the dog.

6. mamachicken888

mamachicken888 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    East Oklahoma
    Oh my goodness! I am soooo sorry. A stray dog is like a wild animal. I'd shoot him too.

A dog nearly got to my girls today too. I have 21 - so I can only imagine how you feel losing all yours.

I know this may be premature, but if I were you, I'd get me more chickens pronto. There's nothing like raising chickens! So many joys!

7. Ersula

Ersula Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2011
    Maine
    Oh, no! I am so sorry for your loss [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. melodie_a

melodie_a Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2010
    Sanford, NC
    I am so sorry for your loss! [​IMG]

9. dallen

dallen New Egg

Oct 12, 2011
    The best defense i have ever had against predators is a great pyrenese. Just today my neighbors dog came and started chasing my ducks but my pyr caught him first. As i was walking to them to get her off of him i was contemplating letting her finish her job but in the end i did get her off. He's not a bad dog, just has a bad owner.

10. quesodano

quesodano Out Of The Brooder

[​IMG]

Get One...for your safety and your livestock! Kids like em too!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by