Dog killed my chickens - can I do anything about it?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by kmwright, Jul 19, 2010.

1. kmwright

kmwright Songster

Jun 24, 2010
    Winters, CA
    So we are not legally supposed to have chickens in the city limits of my town. However, when I asked the local police department about them, they said "everyone has them" and not to worry about it.

This morning, my neighbors dog dug under the fence and killed 3 of my chickens. Long story, but my neighbor is not sorry and I wouldn't doubt that she encouraged it.

Can I do anything about this? Complain about the dog? I mean, come on. It ate my precious babies and my whole family (especially my daughter) is heartbroken.

2. Beekissed

Beekissed Free Ranging

OneBite poison cake slipped under the hole in the fence? [​IMG]

3. MaggieRae

MaggieRae Songster

Apr 12, 2009
    North Texas
    SSS policy. Shoot. Shovel. Shut up.

That may not work in the city. If you don't want to "remove" the problem and face the repercussions of an angry neighbor, you need to build a run that is predator proof.

Most people would sue if the neighbor wouldn't pay for the hens but I don't think you'd win that case. Apparently, the act of killing livestock isn't punishable if the livestock isn't supposed to be there in the first place. Dead birds or not, they could get off on a legality. Maybe I'm wrong.

Sorry about your birds. I think your best bet is preventing it from happening again.

And no free eggs for the neighbor!

4. jjthinkagain

jjthinkagain Chirping

May 26, 2010
    Kristen, I see your dilemma. Is there any possibility your birds could fall under the definition of pets? You might have to scour your local ordinances to sort it out. Also, check dog laws and ordinances. In many places, dogs are not allowed to be 'at large' in which case you could ask an animal control officer (or whomever is assigned this task) to issue a citation. It in no way even remotely begins to address the terror and pain inflicted on your birds but we have to use every angle we can find - especially re: those not contrite - or the group think re: dogs, and the situation for chickens, may never shift in our lifetime. Keep us posted. You will have our company in this. [​IMG]

JJ (also jjthink)

5. serendipityfarm

serendipityfarm Songster

Mar 28, 2010
    Connecticut
    It is appalling that your neighbors aren't sorry for the physical and emotional damage done by their dog. That being said, two wrongs don't make a right, and poisoning or shooting their pet will not bring yours back. I think your best bet is to re-examine how to beef up the security of your pen.
    Very sorry for your loss!
    ~Terry

6. sandiatonimarie

sandiatonimarie Songster

Nov 30, 2009
    Also, check dog laws and ordinances. In many places, dogs are not allowed to be 'at large' in which case you could ask an animal control officer (or whomever is assigned this task) to issue a citation.

This might be your best option. And I think the authorities can take the dog at some point if there are repeat offenses.

SSS policy. Shoot. Shovel. Shut up.

And this isn't half bad either but in city you'd have to substitute poisoning for shooting. Kinda mean but the neighbor needs to be a good neighbor and keep the doggie at home.

Can you do any electric fencing around your coop? It would shock the dog the next time and might train him to stay away.

I'm sorry about your birds.​

7. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    I'll bet you have some sort of 'dog at large' law in your state. File a complaint about the dog being in your yard. That's the beauty of the 'at large' laws; the dog didn't have to do anything other than be out of the owner's control and not on the owner's property. You don't even have to mention that you had any chickens. The owner will have to go to court and pay a fine, and, each time the dog is at large and you report it, the fine goes up. You may not be able to do anything about the dog getting your babies but you can hit your neighbor in the pocketbook.

Then go to your city council and get the chicken ordinance changed. It can be done. Find one on this site that you like and copy it. Don't stop until you win.

Then beef up your fence and get some more chickens. (And no, MaggieRae-no free eggs for the neighbor in this case; sounds like they're real jerks.)

8. TCollier

TCollier Chirping

Jun 22, 2010
    Franklin, Ohio
    I'll bet you have some sort of 'dog at large' law in your state. File a complaint about the dog being in your yard. That's the beauty of the 'at large' laws; the dog didn't have to do anything other than be out of the owner's control and not on the owner's property. You don't even have to mention that you had any chickens. The owner will have to go to court and pay a fine, and, each time the dog is at large and you report it, the fine goes up. You may not be able to do anything about the dog getting your babies but you can hit your neighbor in the pocketbook.

I must agree with the above statement. I know in our state there is a leash law. If your dog is on your property no leash is required but if it leaves the property it must be on a leash. Keep a camera handy and every time it comes on your property snap a pic and call animal control or if it goes out in the road or anywhere off the owners property. Hit them in the pocket book. It will not get your pets back but it will teach them to keep control of their dog. Sorry for your loss.

Tom​

9. chick4chicks

chick4chicks Songster

Apr 6, 2008
    N.E. Pa.
    [​IMG] I am so sorry to hear the bad doggy killed your chickens. I would see about leash laws and yes call animal control. It is not right that the neighbor doesn't care but some so called people are like that. Best of luck. Beef up security then get more chicks. [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Sorry about your poor chooks, bummer.

No choice in your situation but to become an expert in passive defense (evasion might be a skill to cultivate as well), or bug the city into legalizing.

There are many good threads on what to use along fence lines to prevent preds from digging under (burying fencing, etc.).

Good luck in pursuing this criminal enterprise to a happier clucking conclusion!

Remember for future reference (for the police report): There are no chickens, there never have been any chickens; the dog tried to bite you. This allows for a wider range of legal/direct action...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by