Dog killed my hen injured another

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by OL'McAlishia, Nov 12, 2010.

1. OL'McAlishia

OL'McAlishia Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2010
    Portland
    Well, I got a call from my bf while @ work today which i thought was weird so I text him back asking what was wrong i couldn't answer of course, and he let me know my dog got a hold of my two black Australorps, Thelma and Louise. One was killed, the other managed to survive 6 more hours till I got home from work, she looked fine despite her unusual demeanor, or atleast until i was able to take her out of her coop and start lifting her feathers! I told my bf to make a vet appt but the fact is I just woud not be able to afford that kind of bill right now. Any advice on how to help her? I honestly don't think she will make it but besides being my great egg layers they were my pets too and I am so saddened by this. My dog has never messed with chickens b4 and has been around them for atleast 2 months. I now know no chickens can be "free range" on this little farm!

Anyways, her wounds are on back between wings and near her rear end. I cannot tell if there is a dime size hole in her actual body like showing her lungs or if its just tissue from part of her feathers and skin being ripped out. She did not like me using anything to pull back feathers near her rear so i could not see there so well without holding her which I couldn't do with a scared 8 yr old trying to hold a flash light. I got her to drink a little water but she is lethargic and may be in shock, I want to save her! Anyone please help! I do not want her to suffer! I rather her pass overnight and get buried then having to kill her myself!

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    A dime sized wound is pretty easy to deal with. If the lungs were exposed the bird would likely already be dead. You also would have heard some serious breathing difficulties. Trim all the feathers back from the wound and clean it out with betadine tea (one part betadine to 10 parts water) or hydrogen peroxide. I like to use a turkey baster so I can really clean out all debris from the wound, especially from puncture-type wounds. Apply some sort of wound dressing- Neosporin, Bag balm or Blukote all work well. Keep the bird where she can be warm and dry until she heals. Give her lots of protein rich foods to aid in healing. Clean the wound once a day with weak salt water and re-apply the wound dressing as needed.

Good luck.

3. MrRushed

MrRushed Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2010
    Dudley
    CMV is right on with what to do.
    Don't wait on getting wounds clean, If infection sets in her chances of survival are slim.
    Good luck.

4. PioneerPrincess

PioneerPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    TX
    I agree with CMV as well. Your hen very well could be in shock. Just keep her in a quiet area and be very gentle when around/ holding/ treating her. Make sure you treat the wounds several times a day with Neosporin. To keep the wound s from drying and scabbing over to soon, treat the wounds several times a day with Neosporin. Keep a close eye on the wounds and watch for pus. If you see pus, take extra care in cleaning those areas. I would go over your hen again checking carefully for any possible hidden wounds. I hope this helps! [​IMG]

5. OL'McAlishia

OL'McAlishia Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2010
    Portland
    She unfortunately did not make it, she was having breathing difficulties, I applied Peroxide where I could but I think it was punctured enough down to her lung, but I will remember this incase my dumb dog grabs another! Thank you!

6. PioneerPrincess

PioneerPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    TX
    I'm sorry you lost your hen. [​IMG] Hopefully your dog won't get anymore. [​IMG]

7. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    OL'McAlishia :

incase my dumb dog grabs another!

Those poor birds [​IMG] I hope your dog will never be able to come in contact with birds ever again or this will sadly happen again [​IMG]
    JJ​

8. spartacus_63

spartacus_63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Central Iowa
    If your chicken did have a thoracic puncture, you want to ensure you DO NOT let fluid into the chest cavity. That in and of itself can kill the bird, or any other animal for that matter.

9. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    So sorry for your loss.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by