Dog killed neighbor’s chickens

Pics

Kaycie Jones

In the Brooder
Oct 2, 2017
This last Friday a little boy next door went into my yard to retrieve his football (whole other issue there) and let my dogs out. He told me of it right away and I started trying to track them down. Around 20 minuets went by when I heard two shots. My dogs came running home, covered in their own blood. They had been shot with a shotgun by a neighbor.

I managed to find the neighbor and he said they were attacking his flock. I offered to compensate him. I have chickens myself, and feel horrible that this has happened. Thankfully my dogs lived, but 7 chickens were not so lucky. I’ve asked how much he wants, and no reply. I asked what they were (meat or laying hens) and no reply. I called the police, but he never reported it to animal control. I’ve called and stopped by three times this week but he never seems to be home.

How much should I give him? I don’t want this mess rearing up in two months, but he just won’t give me any information. All I know is his flock used to total 45, but that’s about it. So now I’m stuck with two injured dogs and no idea how to compensate the neighbor for his loss. What should I do?

Sounds like it’s a toss up and maybe that’s why he doesn’t have a response for you? How bad are the dogs’ wounds? Maybe secure your fence/gate so that the neighbor (or anyone else) cannot come into your backyard w/o permission? Of course, I don’t know if that’s possible either not knowing your set up.
:confused:

I wouldn't push the issue and just let it go. If it were me in his shoes I'd be fuming about the dogs, but not knowing why...I'd assume it to be irresponsibility, but knowing they weren't strays, I'd feel bad about ya having to take care of your dogs....so, he could just be calling it a wash with his loss and ya having vet bills. I'd give it some time and then catch him outside one day and attempt to explain and come to a neighborly understanding....if after that he refuses to be neighborly, just move on and know he doesn't really have much character.

Sucky situation for all- you probably should put a lock on your gate. Can't believe the audacity that people have trespassing to get a ball and letting dogs out...I'd have had the police at the parent's door for that and the parents would be responsible for the outcome of the whole thing.

Here, it's legal to shoot dogs which are attacking livestock so you'd have no recourse there but I hope your dogs are ok. As for the chickens if he's not specified that he wants/needs to be compensated, then I'd ask one more time and let it go after that. He probably feels bad he hurt the dogs but didn't feel he had any alternative. Luckily it was a shotgun and not something worse.

Sorry for your trouble :hugs
A lot of good advice already given

You might consider a brief letter to your neighbor apologizing once more, recognizing his right to defend his flock and once more offering compensation. You could explain the accidental release and let him know you have added a lock. Keep a copy for your records. If you are concerned about 'something down the road', documentation is good.

Edit - Hand him the letter with the above mentioned pie!:D

Sorry for your trouble :hugs
A lot of good advice already given

You might consider a brief letter to your neighbor apologizing once more, recognizing his right to defend his flock and once more offering compensation. You could explain the accidental release and let him know you have added a lock. Keep a copy for your records. If you are concerned about 'something down the road', documentation is good.

Edit - Hand him the letter with the above mentioned pie!:D

:goodpost:

As I was reading this post, I thought yes! This with the pie would be brilliant! I then saw your edit. :)

Back
Top Bottom