Dog killed neighbor’s chickens

In my life I have learned an ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure. If something can go wrong it most certainly will, sooner or later. Maybe if you put a simple lock on the gate?

As a dog trainer, I know there is no such thing as "fail-safe." You have to anticipate every move they can conjure up. I learned that the hard way. Now, I don't know the situation other than what you stated or what kind of dogs you have, but even if the boy didn't come over, if the dogs want those chickens and they are free range, there will come a day...

That being said, I applaud your steadfast desire to contact and compensate your neighbor. You have honor, integrity and respect and these days that is mostly a lost human attribute. Sometimes, people are just angry in life and a situation like this puts them in a place they don't know how to deal with, so they don't. Perhaps one day he will loosen up, but he sounds like he's not half the person you are. :confused:

I really appreciate all the support and further advice, but I do want to clear somethings up real quick.

I saw that other post myself, and it isn’t my neighbor (the poster lives in a different state). But the situations are similar in many ways.

Also, I don’t believe my neighbors are “nasty” people. I realize what his wife said can make it seem that way, but I think they’re just not dog people. They’re also older, and from an old family. Around here that tends to get to people’s heads. I would know, because whether the neighbor knew it or not I’m from one of the “old families” in this town. She also further explained her side of things when she caught me out getting my mail. That her grandchildren are very young and play in the yard frequently, and she doesn’t want a dog attacking them. That’s perfectly reasonable.

So I let her meet my dogs. I have an old, overweight and arthritic husky mix, and a young lab mix. They are the kind of dogs that bark at my older cat for picking on our kitten. That lick your hand as you cause them pain trying to stop them from bleeding out. Anyway, I was lucky on this day because my nephews (3 and 5) were over. I let her watch the group run around and play together. Showed her the video of my older dog nursing our kitten before his eyes were open, and photos of the neighbor kids from my old neighbor playing with the dogs. I then reassured her they would remain in my yard and this won’t happen again. I explained how they got out, and what I did to fix it. I then showed her their command for “away” (Russian word for no) just in case.

To end out this whole incident: She apologized for her harsh words (especially once she learned my family name *eye roll*), and I apologized for causing her so much trouble and worry.

We are not friends by any means, but things are much more civil now and I think she even feels a little badly for my dogs (seeing as they’re not vicious killers). So we called the whole thing a wash and have started from scratch. The dogs are both healing, and doing well. Though the younger one will probably never walk quite right again. But he doesn’t seem to mind. Thank you all so much for all the help and support. Reading your comments got me through this with a level head. ❤️
527B5270-8FBC-4A4D-AA6F-666BB1E166F8.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom