****Dog killed one chicken and another injured-HELP!!!

logansmommy7

Songster
10 Years
May 15, 2009
Shenandoah Valley
Well, my dog got into the run this afternoon, and killed one of my favorite chickens, and upon further inspection, my other favorite is injured-they have just matured and are laying beautiful eggs! Anyway, I got the injured one up and into my dog crate. I put Blu-Kote on it for aniseptic. This seems to be the only injury-do you think she will make it? Do I need to do anything else for her? How long should I keep her up, should she make it? Please, please, please give me advice on this....thanks in advance. Really hoping I don't lose another of my precious little girls!

Topical neosporin for surface wounds tho try to clean first with a mix of 9 parts water/1 part betadine. Deeper wounds may well require oral or injectible antibiotic.

A bit of electrolytes (pedialtye in a inch) for shock. Can spritz some on a piece of watermelon or similar - whatever she'll take.

A drop of Rescue Remedy in her water for stress.

Keep her comfortably warm , quiet and as stress free as possible.

She may need pain relief. If you sense she does and she's not actively bleeding and you don't suspect internal injuries, you can crush 1 baby aspirin (no substitutes unless confirmed okay for chcikens) into a cup ofher drinking water (fresh batch at least daily). This is essentially similar to a common dose recommended here on BYC of five 325 mg aspirins per gallon.

JJ

its hard to tell 4 sure without seeing the injury, but chickens can be pretty tough. i have nursed a few back to health. one was attacked by coyotes and broke her neck. i put a splint on it and kept her in a box in the house for 2 weeks. i gave her food and water with an eye dropper. My bantam had her chest tore open by a dog - twice. I kept the would clean and she is ok. the most important first thing is to make sure she is drinking. water with a little dropper if necessary and keep the wound clean, clean, clean.
wash it out daily with peroxide and rinse with water. hand feed her if you have to. You'll know more in a couple of days. Hope she's ok.

I have good news to report. She made it through the night and seems to be doing pretty well. It is kinda hard to tell if she drank any water out of the bowl, but we are hopeful. We gave her cracked corn and a few grapes this afternoon and she ate well. Hopefully this means she will mend nicely.

Back
Top Bottom