Dog Killed One Of My Guineas Today ...

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by Mrs. Fluffy Puffy, Aug 8, 2010.

1. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    This is the third guinea I have lost. 1 got killed while it was roosting high up in a tree, and the other two the dog killed! [​IMG]
    This afternoon my dad was outside talking on the phone and he called me outside and there right by the front gate was a dead guinea! [​IMG]
    Our border collie ( Wicked Dog! ) was all sneaking away acting all guilty. Oh, I was so mad I could have shot that stupid, dump idiot dog!!! Why can't they just leave them alone? Those guineas cost alot of $$$ [​IMG]
    I know it was the dog because it had two teeth marks in it's head. It hadn't been dead long because the blood was still dripping out and it was still warm. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    My older sister said I should get the air soft gun and if he comes anywhere near the guineas let him have it! So I think that's what I'm gonna do, since I can't shoot him with a real gun! [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 8, 2010
  2. 1sttimer

1sttimer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2010
    thats what i would do. i have a dog and he is a black lab and bull dog mix. (dont ask lol) and he like to chase them back in the pen and sometimes i dont want them back in the pen like when they are free ranging and stuff.

so yesterday me and my dad and Zues, the puppy, were sitting on the porch having coffee and i hear the guineas and Mama , the hen the was their warmth for the first weeks of their life, dustbathing in the flower bed next to the house. so i get up and go over there to look and Zues comes over and stands next to me. mind you the porch is higher than the ground by like three feet. and so im laying there with my head hung over the porch dropoff or whteve you wanna call that im just watching. so here comes Zues so see wht his Manda is doing and he starts staring intently i didnt think anything of it because i was right there and suddenly, he jumps off the porch and starts rounding them up to go back into the pen and they all start running.

meantime, the ducks and other fellow foul are down in the shade under the deck and in the are were the basement comes out. its a walk out. and they explode out of there and they all go running back to the pen. and all the while im yelling at Zues, mind you, i am REALLY loud. the cheer coach loved me [​IMG] so im yelling at Zues and he keeps running around and my dad gets up to see whats going on, so hes just standing there on the step and he standing there drinking coffee and laughing while watching me chase the dog and the dog chase the chickens.

grrr

but thats my story, i dont really have a solution until he kills one of them then we have a situation. [​IMG]

3. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Quote:Ugh! I hate dogs like that! I'll be yelling at the dog and he won't stop! UGH!!! I hate that dog! Those guineas are like $4.00 bucks each! Twice the price of chickens, so now I am trying to figure out how to replace them. I was hoping when they started laying I could incubate alot of their eggs, but they may not even live that long! [​IMG]
    And I think the three that got killed so far where all guin hens. So I'm like ... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    You should probably put the dog in a dog run or some type of fenced enclosure if your guineas are going to be freeranging. He might learn not to get the guineas while you are around but when he is alone with them the urge is gonna be too strong since he has already killed a couple. If your guineas are in a coop at night then you could let the dog out then until morning.

5. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Quote:Well that's just the thing .. we don't have any kind of kennel of anything! He lives in the backyard, but the fence is poorly built and he can open all of the gates with his paws. And we can't tie him up 24/7.

6. 1sttimer

1sttimer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2010
    same here and i asked dad about a kennel and he said if a dog was going to be locked up he would shoot it because it would have no life or somthing like that but you would think that on 20 acres he would find something other to do except torment my babies. [​IMG]

7. Emzyyy

Emzyyy Runs with Deer

Jul 14, 2008
    Derby Kansas
    Our dogs have just known to leave the birds alone since they were puppies. You can't really teach them easily to leave them alone after the puppy stage.

8. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Yep, he is full grown so I doubt I could train him.
    I don't think he "meant" to kill the guinea. He is a border collie a herding dog, so when he starts herding them around he trys to bite them to make them do what he wants. And when he starts biting them I yell at him and I guess he thinks I'm yelling at the guineas and he bites them, and I guess thats what he done. He bit it on the head and killed it.

9. racuda

racuda Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    North Carolina
    Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

Yep, he is full grown so I doubt I could train him.

Not so.

My dog was 4 years old when I first got chickens. One day when the coop door was open a game hen flew out and my dog nailed her. Killed her dead. I realized that I would have to train her because she didn't know she wasn't supposed to hurt them.

I put her on a long flexi lead and took a stroll with her amongst the chickens. When she made a move I jerked the leash and told her "NO".

After a few training sessions she wouldn't even look at them. Since then I have gotten totally free-range chickens and guineas and I now trust her completely around them. It has been over a year and she knows the chickens and guineas are mine and she doesn't bother them.​

10. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    He doesn't "Try" to kill them, he just bits at them to make them go where he wants them to go. [​IMG]
    I dunno, maybe I could try it. How would I do it? When I take him on a walk be behaves. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by