Dog killed one of our hens today...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by KomodoMNO, Jan 9, 2014.

1. KomodoMNO

KomodoMNO Out Of The Brooder

Nov 4, 2013
    Northern California
    So our dachshund finally got to our chickens today... The back door was left open, and he got into the fenced area we have set up. :( Gracie flew out and hid, but Pip was not so lucky. I don't want to get into details, but I held Gracie for a long time afterwards, and thankfully she has no visible injuries. We are going to keep our eye on her and take her in if we notice any changes. What do I do for her now? We are already working on fixing our coop area and disposing Pip in the right way. This is the second time he's gotten at the chickens, first time fatal. :(

2. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    Sorry to hear about your loss[​IMG]. I have lost several of my birds to my own dogs. It sucks.

3. hensintheHOUse

hensintheHOUse Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2013
    NewYork
    I am sorry for the trouble, which is really heartbreaking to hear it.
    You may already look up for the solution, that use a shock collar ( electric color) , tie the dead chicken to your dog for a few days etc..

I think that an electric collar is the best way to try .. But you can't trust your dog never ever again.
    Especially when he is off the electric collar ,
    Even you put the color feels like the electric collar. You should not trust your dog who killed a chicken once.

Dogs do not understand why you are so upset after the thing happens. But your dog knows when you are upset.
    If you want your dog why you are upset. You have to catch the moment when your dog are about to attack them. then he will understand.

Just like potty train a dog. Training them over and over in the tough way with love.
    It will be a big challenge with a lot of effort and time you would spend for that to listen to you .
    Also, you should be the leader for your dog which is very important.

Example,
    when you take your dog for a walk,
    Your dog walk in front of you or behind you?

Your dog should walk behind you all the time.
    And when you get out of your house, never let your dog go first. Your dog is always the last.

I am very new to chickens, but I have studied about dogs little more than chickens for their behavior.

You might already know , or different thoughts about dogs, so that may discomfort you and I apologize you if I did.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  4. pwand

pwand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    I am so sorry for your loss. Hugs

I would put and electric fence around the area.

5. KomodoMNO

Nov 4, 2013
    Northern California
    Ugh, and we were literally just talking about a shock collar or electric fence the day before... Thank you for the sweet words and advice. I knew this came with the territory, but it is still difficult to deal with. How soon do we need to get a replacement hen? We can get another possibly next weekend, unless I really push for this weekend. I'm just glad that Gracie is okay, and my daughter is too young to understand just yet. :/

6. pwand

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    Do you
    do you have just one bird left?

7. hensintheHOUse

hensintheHOUse Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2013
    NewYork
    <How soon do we need to get a replacement hen?

Is that mean you have only Gracie left?
    How old is Gracie? How old is your dog also?

Very sorry for you and your family too.

Some of breeds are deadly tough to train...
    Dachshund is a hunting dog.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dachshund

I know one of my friends who has a Dachshund mix chasing after any small animals on her backyard whenever he finds and killing them.

I would focus on your dog for a while before I get another one.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
  8. KomodoMNO

Nov 4, 2013
    Northern California
    Yes. We originally had four, but two were roosters so we gave them back. We were going to purchase two more chicks, but figured we should wait until the spring because keeping them separate at the time would have been difficult. The girls weren't big enough to be outside yet. I am already working on getting a hen or two around Gracie's age.

9. pwand

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    My concern is getting birds that may come with illness that you can't see and later get sick. Make sure they are vaccinated against Marek's disease. Another idea is to get ready to lay pullets, ask to make sure they are vaccinated, I have done this without problems. I got mine through the feed store, they order in enough as a shipment for many customers. I bought three. Only thing I would recommend is to deworm them and treat for mites. The brown birds are so friendly and come around easily. I hope this helps.

10. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    A shock collar WILL NOT always stop a dog if he is fixated on something,they just keep going. Just thought you should understand this,isn't your dog a dachshund,i would not put a shock collar on a small dog.

The best way to prevent deaths from dogs is to use hardware cloth on your coop/run,never allow dogs near chickens as even the smallest dog can inflict mortal wounds.

If and when you get new birds,make sure you remember the quarantine rule. Quarantine any new birds for at least a month(the longer the better)this is to make sure any new birds are not carriers of something that may put your flock at risk.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by