Dog Licensing

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by watersoflethe, May 25, 2010.

1. watersoflethe

watersoflethe Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Corona/Mira Loma CA
    How many people actually license their dogs?

i have a husky that i raise outside that i've always licensed. My chihuahua who sleeps in my bed with me is also licensed since he goes outside to play everyone in a while

but then my 2.5 pound maltese is not licensed because she almost never goes outside. she actually seems to be scared of the outdoors and gets stressed...

i was telling my friends that i need to eventually buy a license for her but i keep forgetting and most of them replied to me asking why i wanted to license a dog that never goes outside.

they told me most of them only license their outside dogs and dont bother licensing their inside dogs. they said its probably a waste of money for me to have licensed my chihuahua as well.

i was just wondering how common this is? do many people not license their dogs? or is this just the people around me?

some people were telling me they dont bother licensing their outside dogs either but then i was wondering about that since i've had officers stop by randomly and check my dog's license. or maybe that was because we are a new developing community?

well i was just wondering how many of you actually license your dogs. and i was also wondering what you think about me licensing my 2.5 maltese. do you think she would be okay not being licensed?

2. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    All of mine are licensed. I've alway gone this, but a lot of people I know still don't and the laws for it here are crazy.

Cost per year for me here is $450 for 3 dogs. Not cheap, but better than the cost of the fine.

3. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    Neither of my dogs are licensed, as it is not required here.

4. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

It is required here for dogs over 3 months and a $300. fine per dog if you get caught.

My dogs are all microchipped and I can get a lifetime license for them for $51 ($31 for spayed or neutered)) A regular yearly license is $8. ($6. s/n).

5. aggieterpkatie

aggieterpkatie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    Maryland
    Holy cow! Our licenses are only a few bucks each (maybe $5/dog?) and they don't really enforce it. The only time I've bought licenses is when I adopted a cat from Animal Control and they made me buy my dog licenses first. [​IMG]

6. yotetrapper

yotetrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    Mine isn't currently.

7. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    I don't license my dog. I think it's $8 for a license, but no one enforces it anyway, so why bother. She's not allowed to roam, so no one's going to find out she's not licensed.

8. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
    We've always licensed all our dogs and cats. I would imagine you'd want to have the license when you take your pet to the vet for routine care.

9. greeneggsandham

greeneggsandham Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Putnam,CT
    There are no leash laws where I live, but you do have to license all dogs and if you have over 3 you need to get a kennel license. So my two are licensed.

10. MetalSmitten

MetalSmitten Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2010
    bloomington, indiana
    I think most places use the money they get from licenses to help pay the salaries of their animal cops, so it's actually really beneficial to do it... more people who buy them = more and better equipped animal cops. And by animal cops, I mean the ones who work with the SPCA to stop cruelty situations. Most cities are incredibly underfunded in that department, and the major cities usually have really a pathetic number of officers because they just can't afford more.

Of course, if you live someplace with outrageous animal-related laws, maybe you wouldn't want to support them.. but most animal cops mean well and do a lot of good.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by