Dog Life Jackets...

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by luvanimals3, May 3, 2009.

1. luvanimals3

luvanimals3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Georgia
    I am wanting to get my dog a life jacket so I can take him out on the boat and swimming at the lake and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on any life jackets?

Thanks

2. rinnith

rinnith Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    Pittsburgh pa
    they sell some at boating shops and some at petsmart we bought ours at petsmart and it saved my parents 15 year old, at the time, life. i really recommend doing this!

3. luvanimals3

Feb 8, 2009
    Georgia
    Thanks I saw some on Cabellas website and really want to get him one. I didnt think to check petsmart(duh lol)![​IMG]

4. dfchaser

dfchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2008
    NC
    You can also try petedge. The only problem i had with mine is that it fits her everywhere perfectly but the neck area, i feel like it is not tight enough around the neck (but then again i guess i dont want to choke her!) The dog does not mind it, she is able to swim and jump just fine.

5. Anny

Anny Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    Take the dog with you when you buy, that way you can try them on.

6. Rosalind

Rosalind Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Was just looking at those yesterday, actually. Petco had some, but I think we will get ours from REI--nicer and they have super-heavy-duty ones for rough water.

7. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    We bought ours online. There are different styles. I like the ones that give more support underneath, with panels of netting under the chest, instead of just having a narrow strap or two that will cut into the dog. That's probably most important if the dog will be swimming in it. A handle on the back is good, too, so you can haul them back into the boat, if they go overboard. Some do a better job of keeping the neck out of the water, too. Ours are bright yellow, to make them easier to spot.

8. luvanimals3

Feb 8, 2009
    Georgia
    I checked walmart and they had really good reviews about keeping the pets head up even when it didnt excatly fit right. They look similar to petsmart and are about the same price. Anybody have experience with those?

9. thebritt

thebritt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Humboldt County
    Quote:DEFINATELY!

10. luvanimals3

Feb 8, 2009
    Georgia
    lol if you only knew my puppy! Thats a good idea though!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by