Dog Lovers, What would you do?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by herefordlovinglady, Sep 9, 2010.

1. herefordlovinglady

herefordlovinglady It Is What It Is

Jun 23, 2009
    Georgia
    My SD lived with her mother until this summer. she graduated high school and moved in with us. Prior to her graduating she told me she was going to get a dog. i told her that since she was going to be moving and then heading off to college it really wasn't a good idea until she became settled. Well guess what, she got a dog anyway. So starting the first of the summer we have a SD and SDog living with us. Sweet little dog, I love her to death. Anyway, then comes time for SD to go off to college -- I asked her if she made any plans for the dog. she said not yet she was working on. Well I started worrying she was going to send the dog to just anyone, so I told her that I would take care of the dog. SD has been gone for over a month and this past weekend, while i was out of town, she came and got the dog. said she has a really close girlfriend that she just met who has a house and she missed her dog and wanted it closer to her. now SD lives in the dorms, Sdog lives in this really good friends house.

I just received a phone call from SD that she was going to bring the dog back.

I like the dog and have no problem with keeping it, what i am going to have a problem with is if this continues her taking the dog and bringing it back. I feel like it needs to be one or the other. I tried to explain that I did not feel it was fair to the dog to be up rooted and moved around so much.

I am i being unreasonable?

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    No, not at all.
    I am going through a similiar situation with my SD. It's hard all around, but I've decided to let my SD's problems be her problems. Tell her the dog stays with you permanently or not at all.

3. savingdogs

savingdogs Chillin' With My Peeps

Tell her if the dog is going to live with you, you are going to be the permanent owner. This going back and forth is not fair to the dog OR to you. If she wants to be close to the dog and see it, she should be happy YOU have it and happy the dog has a place to go where it is comfortable and loved.
    Do not let yourself be stepped upon. Sounds like SD is making too many decisions for herself, such as getting the dog in the first place when the answer was no. Sounds like you knew better what was going to happen than she did.

After you "adopt" this one, let her know she may not bring any more dogs home unless the WHOLE FAMILY agrees to it, because you might have to take care of it also down the road. Be blunt but kind. Point out facts, don't blame. Kids need to learn. Just make sure that this is a learning experience about responsibility and not how to dump problems on SM.

Just my two cents.....seems like a SD problem not a dog one. But I rehome dogs from the humane society as a hobby and have little tolerance for people who acquire dogs without foresight and then toss them away. YOU are the mature one here thinking about the dogs welfare, make sure you get she realizes the dog is officially yours after staying with you 30 days (at least that is how the laws are here). And that in the future, listen to those who are trying to tell her she is making a mistake, especially if you plan to be there sweeping up the problems.

4. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I don't think you're being unreasonable at all. She should just let you keep it, if she really loves it, she won't be moving it around like a little furry nomad.

5. NYboy

NYboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    White plains
    Put in writing that the dog now belongs to you, have the SD sign it.

6. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Start charging a petsitting fee. I know dogs who live with truckers and do fine but they have the personality to handle the constant traveling and so forth. On the other hand, if you are going to be a dog owner then be the dog's owner and keep the pet with you!

7. herefordlovinglady

herefordlovinglady It Is What It Is

Jun 23, 2009
    Georgia
    Thanks y'all. I knew in my heart it was best for the dog not to be moved around. I will stand firm on this. Here or there not both. Period!
    the dog thanks you too..

[​IMG]

8. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    I'll take that cutie!!!!!!!!

9. aggieterpkatie

aggieterpkatie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    Maryland
    My dog moved all around with me when I was going through school and after school. Sometimes he had to live with my parents, other times he was with me. It wasn't a big deal and he was happy with me, but also happy at home.

10. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    If the dog was living with 2 specific people then I wouldn't see it as a problem. I had a cat that I moved with me, back to my mom's house, and back in with me. That's entirely different though from having the dog live with a friend of which there's a chance you'll have a falling out eventually, taking the dog back to your parents, and then finding another friend for it to live with. Being with a few people they know in a couple different locations is not a problem for most dogs but being with various strangers often is. I would just restrict the dog to only living with you or her. Not nearby people she finds who may or may not be responsible and that the dog does not know.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by