Dog mauled Hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bastet43, Nov 6, 2013.

1. bastet43

bastet43 New Egg

Nov 6, 2013
    Hi
    New Chicken mama here. I literally traded the local stray a bowl of cat food for her. Have been to EVERY farmer around us and she doesn't belong to anyone so I guess she's ours. I read several of the threads here and have taken everyone's advice and put some antibacterial cream on the spots where her feathers have been pulled out and also on the scratches on her feet. She's been drinking some water but doesn't seem to want to eat. we gave her some nice fresh home made bread and a bowl of amaranth seed. Will get her some real chicken chow in the morning when i can go to town.

What i'd like to know is, what should we look for if her boo boos get worse?

I made her a place to roost from a cardboard box and she's in the dog's crate for the night with it covered up. Anything I should take care of right away? I haven't had any contact with chickens since I helped my great-grandmother collect eggs when I was 3.

Coq'aux Channel and I thank you.

Judi R
    Gallina, NM

2. DStewart PDX

DStewart PDX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2013
    Portland, Oregon
    Good job taking in a stray. In my experience, chickens are remarkably resilient but they do get traumatized when stuff like this happens. She may not be quite herself for awhile. Make sure she always has water, even if her appetite is down. Chicken feed will have the right formulation, but really chickens are little garbage disposals and she will enjoy most anything from your table once she gets her appetite back. If her wounds are not severe, and she doesn't have internal injuries, she will probably bounce back just fine. I had a chicken get a wing bitten off, and she made a full recovery!

3. PetPrescriber

PetPrescriber New Egg

Nov 6, 2013
    Oregon and California
    Hi Judi, I am a homeopath and do quite a bit of work with chickens. The remedies listed below are suggestions that might help your bird. They are natural remedies. There are no side effects. There is no taste. Plus they are as easy to give as they are to receive.

Aconitum napellus 30c potency should be given for shock and trauma. Give 2 or 3 pillules, every 15 to 30 minutes for 3 or 4 doses. Then 1 hour after giving Aconitum give one of the remedies below (choose the most fitting to the case). Dose: 2 pillules, 2 or 3 times daily until improved. As soon as the bird improves by 50% STOP dosing (this could be after as little 3 or 4 doses) and let the remedy continue to do its work. Do not dose again unless the same symptoms return.

Homeopathic Remedies for Dog Bites

Ledum 30c. Anti-tetanus and wound healing remedy for puncture wounds and dog bites.
    Hypericum 200c or 30c for painful dog bites with nerve pain.
    Hepar sulph 30c for dirty bites; redness, swelling and heat.

The remedies can be found at most progressive health food stores or online. Look for the brand name 'Boiron'. A good place to go for online orders is www.pureformulas.com they do not charge shipping, they ship fast and their remedy prices are very low…
    A good way to dose your chicken is to crush the tiny pills in a small piece of clean white computer paper, fold the paper so they don't roll out. Lay the paper on your kitchen counter and lay a regular knife with the flat on the pills. Hit the flat of the knife with the heel of your hand. Carefully open the paper and pour the powder into a small amount of water. Draw the water into a syringe and give it orally. It could also be put on to bread or mixed into something the bird will readily eat.

Homeopathic remedies can be found at most progressive health food stores. Or online…a good online source is: www.pureformulas.com they do not charge shipping and their remedies are very inexpensive. Look for the brand name 'Borion'.

If you have any questions I would be glad to help. I'll be wishing your bird well...

4. bastet43

bastet43 New Egg

Nov 6, 2013
    Hi and thanks so much.
    We actually have all but the 200C Hypericum on hand. I do have it in the 30C. I know the dog's had his shots though because i gave them to him. Normally he's a very sweet dog but i discovered my neighbor who was feeding him his 2nd meal a day had quit doing so. Consequently he went hunting. So he was very happy to swap a bowl of food for the chicken.

Good news is she's eating and drinking this morning so i think the worst is over. I do think i'll give her some of the Hepar though and see if that helps her unstiffen a bit. Her pooh looks like what i remember chicken pooh to look like too.

Glad I have those things on hand though. It's 2 hr drive to nearest place i could get them otherwise (Albuquerque or Santa Fe).

Thanks again for the advice
    Judi

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by