Dog mauled our Rouen....

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Mikanik, Sep 23, 2011.

1. Mikanik

Mikanik Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    Went outside this morning to find our English Mastiff pretending our Rouen, Pickles, was a bit of a chew toy. Definitely put her in shock...the duck, not the dog..the dog got put in the kennel. She has a little blood on her neck that I cleaned up but found no puncture wounds...just a wee scratch and irritated skin. No broken anything. Her eyes looks a little puffy. She's now in our "sick room" (bathroom) at a comfortable temperature with water and food available and a nice comfy place to rest. She seems rather inactive and even lets me pick her up and love on her which is totally out of character for her. She's the "Leave me alone! I do what I want!" duckie of our group. Just throwing this out there to see if anyone might have any suggestions. Our duck yard is going up this weekend so of course good ol' Murphy's Law has to throw something in to play! After that is up all animals will be separated and can freely do their own thing. Anyway...any suggestions on what I should do? Thanks in advance!

2. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Quiet space that is warm and has fresh water and food. Whe. In shock they tend to go still, and act out of the norm. As long as she shows o signs of swelling, blood, puncture wounds I would say you have done everything right. Keep her quiet and monitor her. Watch the eyes to make sure they aren't injured.

3. Mikanik

Apr 2, 2011
    Thanks for replying! This is the first "injured" duck situation we've had. I just came back from a little hike and checked on her...she's been walking around the bathroom (I can tell by the little "presents" she's left here and there. LOL I refilled the tub and I'm letting her have a little float time. She seems to be a little more active in the tub than before. She's actually moving her feet and stretching out her wings and body in the water and is a little more alert it seems. I don't see any swelling. I'll probably leave her in there until tomorrow so I can check on her throughout the day and night. [​IMG]

4. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Good deal, a dog crate will help keep the bathroom cleaner too for overnight.

5. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    When attacked, electrolytes are often recommended. A bit of Gatorade or Pedialtye in a pinch for chickens (can go in their water or be spritzed on a treat), not sure about ducks. Also, a drop or two of Rescue Remedy in the drinking water may help wih coping with the trauma.
    It's pretty likely that she will be a hurting duck by tomorrow if not sooner in which case you may notice her being disinclined toward food and drink. For chickens in pain, I crush 1 baby aspirin (81 mg) into one cup drinking water, fresh batch twice daily. Not sure about ducks.
    You will, I'm sure, watch closely for any infection that may need treatment.
    She may really benefit from lots of reassurance from her most trusted person, or by bunking with a best feather buddy, if she has one.....
    Hope she'll be okay.
    JJ

6. Mikanik

Apr 2, 2011
    She seems to be doing pretty good tonight! She's been grooming (or whatever you call it...preening?) herself and much more active than earlier. She's eating good, drinking good, and enjoying her bathtub swims more. For some reason this sure has tamed her quite a bit! She actually seems to enjoy the attention she's getting and, as I think I said before, seems to be starting to realize that us two legged folks aren't too bad after all.

7. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    That's really good news [​IMG]
    JJ

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by