1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dog mauling-possible dislocated leg--cold to the touch. Help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by barredrockmama, Sep 13, 2009.

1. barredrockmama

barredrockmama Out Of The Brooder

Sep 13, 2009
    Humboldt County, CA
    Hi everyone.

I've been reading everyone's advice on how to treat puncture wounds from dog attacks. Thanks for all the great info.

I wonder, though, about my poor Pretty Girl's leg. She was mauled by a dog yesterday and she has puncture wounds on her back and left side of her body and just behind her thigh. Her left leg is also injured. It doesn't appear to be broken anywhere--but it may be dislocated. My concern is that the foot/leg has been cold to the touch. Is this normal in cases like this? I can't seem to find any info on the internet about this. I fear she will lose the leg if it gets no blood circulation..

She has no interest in walking, but can hobble around on the other leg (She can't put any weight on the injured leg). She is eating and drinking very little, and seems alert. When she lays down, her leg wants to stick out sideways and her foot stays all curled up. I keep tucking it back under her. She doesn't protest when I examine her wounds or her leg.

Thanks for your time.

2. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    I sure wish I had an answer for you-I'm sure you have already tried to search this but I'm looking to see if I can find anything that can give you an answer.

Hopefully, someone smarter than me can help you pretty quick.[​IMG]

3. the Old Rebel

the Old Rebel Rest in Peace -2011

May 12, 2007
    Hendersonville NC
    I can't really help, but I wanted to keep this near the top, so somebody who can help will see it.

My cat dislocated a shoulder. The vet got it back in position by gently pulling on it and manipulating it. I wouldn't want you to try that unless someone else recommends it.

I'm concerned though, because we have a guinea hen that compound fractured his leg just below the elbow. We set the leg and the foot stayed warm for three days. But then it went stone cold. Mikey ended up losing his leg. He does just fine without it. Still, I hope that doesn't happen to your hen. I feel soooooo bad for her.

Keep us posted on how she is doing. I'll say a prayer for her and you.

BTW, it's normal for them not to eat much after something like this. Give her a day or two. By then, she should come around and be eating.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2009
  4. barredrockmama

Sep 13, 2009
    Humboldt County, CA
    Thanks. I might just have to wait it out and see. I'd like to take her to the vet, but I'm afraid of the cost...my budget isn't very large these days...

5. barredrockmama

Sep 13, 2009
    Humboldt County, CA
    Thanks. That's very sweet of you. I've been praying for her all day!

6. barredrockmama

Sep 13, 2009
    Humboldt County, CA
    Anyone else have any tips?

7. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

OK I'm not sure this is helpful. But several years ago I had a similar thing happen with a kitten.(Both back legs were cold) The only options I had were the final option or trying an aspirin drip overnight to try to help the circulation (aspirin is a blood thinner). Maybe you could give aspirin. Might help with the pain also, if there is any. I'll attach a link with the dosage. I'm not suggesting a drip, but giving her some aspirin orally.

Imp-Good Luck

http://msucares.com/poultry/diseases/solutions.html

8. barredrockmama

Sep 13, 2009
    Humboldt County, CA
    Thank you for your help. I'm not sure why, but suddenly, the warmth just came back to her leg! I'm so pleased. This is my very favorite hen, as she is my friendliest. I pray she pulls through relatively unharmed...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by