Dog meets chickens.

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Andora, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Andora

Andora Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    I went out this afternoon for a couple of hours, and since it's so nice out I left my 1 year old lab mix in the backyard. My 18 chickens are in my (unattached) garage out there, they haven't been moved the coop yet because we've had such nasty weather. They are 10 and 14 weeks old, five older ones and the rest younger. When I came home I saw that the door to the garage from the backyard was wide open! My dog was just sunning herself in the grass, with two chickens pecking around her in the yard. I ran in the garage and the rest of the chickens were just snoozing away.

My dog busted the door open because her bag of dog food was in there, where she could smell it near the door.

Yep, she didn't want 18 fresh and tender chickens, instead she wanted dog food. I'm so lucky! My heart went in my throat when I saw that the door was open...I was completely expecting she in the very least might have killed one while trying to play with it...I'm making my husband repair that doorknob today.

2. toletiquesbysam

toletiquesbysam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2008
    Nebraska
    Lucky You!! I can still remember the day when we went to visit my Grandparents homestead and my sister brought her dog. They had chickens running around the yard and her dog took after the chickens and my sister was yelling and the dog and the next thing we see coming towards us is the dog running being chased by their Rooster!! It was Hilarious!! [​IMG]

Hope you dog continues to do well with them, I love Lab's even the mutts!!

3. conroy

conroy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    You are lucky!!! I don't want to think about [​IMG] what my dogs would have done.

4. Andora

Andora Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Today we moved the chicks from the garage to the secure coop and run, and when I picked up my brahma pullet I noticed she had a some dried slobber on her head and her head feathers are bent straight up. I think the dog must have given her a sniff and a lick, that's what she does to our cats and their fur gets dried slobber in it the same way. [​IMG]

toletiquesbysam--Once last year my coonhound got off of the porch and out in the yard when my last flock of chickens was free-ranging. We didn't have a rooster, but there was one huge chicken named Big Momma who ruled the roost. I came running outside to find that the other chickens were all hiding in the coop while Big Momma flew at the dogs face claws first, aiming for his eyes, and he was yelping and running back to the house. [​IMG] He never went near a chicken again! She also treated my outdoor cat the same way, and now she is also chicken-friendly. (As long as they aren't little chicks who look like regular birds, she often kills robins and all those...)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by