1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dog might be pregnant?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by TheBrumstead, Jul 3, 2011.

1. TheBrumstead

TheBrumstead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    Hobart, IN
    We have an 8 year old Rottie female. She's never been bred. My DH was going to have her fixed, but by the time he decided, she was already over 100 lbs and it was going to cost a fortune. So... a little while ago, I kicked her out of the bathroom (she likes to lay on the cool tile) and noticed a small creamy white puddle... I laid her down and sure enough, her mammary glands are excreting a milky substance when gently squeezed. We don't keep track of her heats. She is off leash when outside (we live on 7 acres), but is always supervised. I watch her like a hawk when she's in heat. We haven't seen another dog on our property in ages. She hasn't had any changes in behavior, no increase/decrease in appetite, no weight change, she's lazy like normal. I felt her belly and don't feel anything unusual.

So what do you think? Possibly pregnant? False pregnancy? Something else?

Eta: She's isn't exactly friendly towards other dogs. She's not mean at all, just standoffish. So I don't know how it possibly could have happened without us hearing something...

Last edited: Jul 3, 2011
  2. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    pyometria?

3. TheBrumstead

TheBrumstead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    Hobart, IN
    I had to look that up, but she does not have any discharge from her vulva. It's not mucusy.

4. Carols Clucks

Carols Clucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Since she is 8 and never spayed, you might want to feel all of her mammary glands and see if there are any lumps

Hate to scare you, but unspayed dogs can and do get mammary cancer. Discharge can be a sign.

Hope it is a false pregnancy

5. aubreynoramarie

aubreynoramarie designated lawn flamingo

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    Phantom pregnancy?

6. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:Thats what i was thinking...

7. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Honestly, it takes only a couple of minutes of a dog being out of sight to end up pregnant. With a willing female, 10 minutes or less is more than enough to get the job done.. And, when in heat, some of the most dog-aggressive females get pretty dang friendly! My co-worker used to breed yorkies. She had a female scale 2 6foot kennels inside her dog building to get to the male that was at the other end of the row. My Freya was petrified of her own shadow, but when in heat she would offer herself up to anything that didn't run away - cats, people, etc. Our poor Rayden is neutered, so we even had to keep her crated in the h ouse because she would crawl under him trying to get him to breed.

At her age, I would almost go with breast cancer though. I would get to the ver ASAP. Either one (cancer or pregnancy) could result in her death. 8 is pretty old for a first litter. Either way, the small forutne that the vet would have charged for a spay is small potatoes compared to how much it costs to raise a litter of pups!

8. equine623

equine623 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    NE PA
    Could be false pregnancy, though usually by the time you see milk you see behavior changes as well.

Could be a closed pyometra, they aren't all seen with vaginal discharge.

Could be mammary cancer.

Best to see the vet...two of those three can be deadly.

9. Redyre Rotties

Redyre Rotties Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2009
    North Carolina, USA
    You really need to have her spayed as soon as possible. She is at the age when Pyometra becomes much more of a danger. Much better to spend the money for a normal spay now than either lose her or spend several times that amount for an emergency spay to try to save her if she goes into a toxic Pyo.

I spay all my b.itches near age 7.

10. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Quote:X 2 As usual Redyre gives excellent advice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by