Dog missing, presumed eaten

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Hot2Pot, Aug 6, 2011.

1. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    I am really getting sick of these predators. Now my toy dog is missing and I am afraid a fox took him. He was inside a welded wire fence but a fox could easily jump it. I put him out at 10:30 tonight. At 12:00 I went to let him in, he is gone. I looked everywhere, called. Nothing. Poor Charlie, I am afraid he us some critter's dinner. If I see that fox again, I am going to kill it. It's bad enough with the chickens getting picked off, but this is over the top.:'(

2. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    A fox wouldn't kill your dog and carry it off.

More likely it got out on it's own and wandered off

Hopefully it will come back

Last edited: Aug 6, 2011
  3. Hot2Pot

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    My dog only weighed 5 pounds. He rarely ever gets out, and if he does, he goes and sits on the porch. It's awful here, so many predators. If it wasn't a fox, it might have been coyotes. I will be thrilled if you are right, but I fear the worst.

4. vclark321

vclark321 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    Bonney Lake
    I hope it wasn't a predator and your little companion comes back! Too awful for words! I am sorry and I really hope this has a happy ending. So sorry! Fingers crossed, sending prayers.

5. Hot2Pot

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    OMG! My husband called him this morning and he was out there! Thank you, that prayer worked !!!

6. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
  7. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Glad he came back, but I concur, since he's just a little dog, coyotes or even coons can get him! Be vigilant!

8. dufus

dufus Out Of The Brooder

Jul 12, 2011
    a coyote will POSITIVELY eat a small dog, and wipe out cats, all you will find is their head. owls and hawks will also take them, as i have first-hand seen these, not open to debate. the best defense for small dogs, is to also have a large dog.

9. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    I didn't even find my cats' heads after the coyotes wiped them out... [​IMG]

10. Elphaba2140

Elphaba2140 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2010
    Northern Illinois
    I live in a subdivision in the city. We have a protected prairie just a couple of blocks away from our house and I can hear coyotes howl at night close by. I have two Chihuahuas. I always go out with my dogs after dark and NEVER leave them out by themselves. I am so glad your little one is home safe.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by