Dog, neighbors kids, fireworks, and a vet bill

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by HelenB, Jul 10, 2010.

1. HelenB

HelenB Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2010
    Kitsap Peninsula
    On July 6 my DH and I left our two dogs confined by our invisible fence (brand name) and left for the evening to celebrate my BIL's 89th. When we got home one of the dogs was not here, and lots of fireworks were going off next door. On the days surrounding the 4th we were home, and the dogs took turns huddling under my feet. I thought about leaving the house open for the dogs, but, that is not our habit when we are away for a few hours, and the invisible fence has kept them both secure for over a year. We needed to amp up the power for the one who was missing, but, he had not run the fence since then.

Morning of the 7th, still no doggy. In the afternoon I put an ad on craigslist, stayed on hold at Animal Control for over 1/2 hr before giving up, filled out an online missing pet report, and worried a lot. Later that evening I got a call from Animal Control letting me know that Koda (missing doggy) was at the emergency trauma center.

Long story short: He was hit by a car and his left front leg was broken and needed to be amputated. My bills for this is add up to about $1400. (I shopped around for a vet, one estimate was over $3000....) Yes, I know it could be worse. Yes, he's young and will do fine on three legs. Yes, I'm glad he's finally home today. But I'm still upset.[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I personally don't like fireworks, and we never buy them. I feel that Koda's injury is at least in part the neighbors fault. If we had left on the 4th I'd be much more tolerant, but, seriously, why do they need to set off fireworks on the 6th?!?[​IMG]

I plan on talking to the neighbors as soon as a responsible adult shows up over there, and asking for help with the vet bill. Does anyone out there on this forum have any suggestions?

Last edited: Jul 10, 2010
  2. babyblue

babyblue Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2009
    as long as the fire works were on their property, which even if they were on yours it would be near impossible for you to prove because you were not home, the neighbors have nothing to do with you containing your animal. under the letter of the law you are responsible for your animals at all times.

its the same as my horse getting lose when the neighbors use a chainsaw to cut up a tree. yea the noise may have bugged the horse but it is my responsibility to contain my animal.

your neighbors are not responsible in any way and even if you sue them you are not going to win. I’m very sorry about your dog and don’t wish him to be in any pain and hope he recovers as good as possible, but that’s the truth of the matter.

3. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    You can ask, but babyblue is right. As long as they weren't shooting fireworks on to your property, it's your bill.

You may want to check the grass for evidence of fireworks being shot in to your yard.

4. HelenB

Mar 11, 2010
    Kitsap Peninsula
    I understand the letter of the law, and that my contained dog did not remain contained under the stress of the explosions coming from next door, and that I am responsible for his care now that he is found. I have no plans to sue, only to appeal to their sense of neighborly duty and ask for help. I realize that none may be forthcoming, and that they have no obligation to me. From the for what it's worth department, their dog has gone missing as well....

5. Tinted

Tinted Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2010
    Kentucky
    Honestly, I don’t see how you can put ANY blame on the neighbors. It’s their property and if they wish to do fireworks so long as it’s legal, they can do it. However, you made the conscious decision to leave your dogs out (“unchained” if you will) without supervision as is suggested when using invisible fences. Dogs can and will ignore the momentary electric shock when they cross the “line” of the “fence.” As far as I know that is/was common knowledge.

I don’t know if your area has a leash law, but mine does and an invisible fence...does not adhere to the law. Honestly I believe you are 100% responsible for the vet bill; it was your dog, on your property, with your specifications in place.

My two cents.

6. HelenB

Mar 11, 2010
    Kitsap Peninsula
    Wifezilla,

I'll check the grass where thier driveway has easment on our property, who knows what I may find!

7. Show Me Chick

Show Me Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2010
    Sorry this happened to your dog but is not your neighbors fault, it your reasonability to make sure your dogs are secured. Thank goodness your dog didn't cause a car to wreak.

8. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    I'm so sorry about your dog and wish him a speedy recovery

My brother had two dogs and an electric dog containment fence - one dog got thru it and was hit by a car and killed - From his experience, they are not escape proof
    I'm not pointing fingers, but just saying that those fences have a lot to be desired.................

9. babyblue

babyblue Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2009
    Quote:if the property is that close also check your car and roof for burnt firecrackers or burn damage, simple little firecrackers can and will burn holes in asphalt or tar roofs and the like.

10. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    You cant blame the neighbors for your dog getting off your property. Even with fireworks involved.. your dog..is not their responsibility. Sorry to say it..
    Maybe you can put up an actual fence so the dog cant run away again if it gets frightened??
    Poor doggie... Glad he survived. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by