Dog nipped baby chicken Help!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by domino2339, Mar 31, 2015.

1. domino2339

domino2339 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2015
    Michigan
    My 4-5 week old Isa brown got nipped by my dog. She is somewhat acting normal, eating and drinking, but she is asking a little skittish. I can't blame her. Do I need to put a thing on her, or just leave her be?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  2. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    I cannot see if her cloaca is intact from the image you posted...I would suggest as a first measure to clean the area in a betadine and water solution..then apply an antibiotic powder....keep her inside ( maybe your home...) in a warm environment...isolated from all other chickens.you can try some sugar in water..she is likely very stressed.

Please keep us updated with her symptoms !

3. domino2339

Mar 22, 2015
    Michigan
    Sorry about the bad photo, it's her lower breast. Her cloaca is totally find. I cleand her up and she is being her cazry self. I take screen off the brooder, she jumps up and starts to cuddle.

4. Rowsdower

Rowsdower Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2012
    Put a little triple antibiotic ointment on it and send her on her way. She should be fine, and might think twice about playing with the dog.

5. Suzie

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    Thank goodness it is not her cloaca..she is so lucky in that respect! You do need to watch her wound area...any sign of infection it would be advisable to seek help from a Vet for an antibiotic...please keep her apart from her fellow companions until she is fully healed...I have witnessed chickens attacking and killing when one is showing signs of bleeding...

Keep updating us!

6. domino2339

Mar 22, 2015
    Michigan
    Just want to give you guys a update. She is doing find and having fun[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Suzie

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    Thank you so much for the update..it is always great to hear good news!

You have made my day...!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by