Dog nipped chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by GoAngels, May 26, 2010.

1. GoAngels

GoAngels Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2010
    Southern California
    I finally brought home 3 chicks today (probably about one week old). 2 RIR and 1 EE. I have two small dogs and I was trying to get them acquainted by letting my dogs sniff them one at a time. Long story short, the RIR flapped its wing in the dog's face, the dog nipped its wing and when I went to put the RIR down, a couple drops of blood fell to the ground.

The chick seems fine otherwise though. Is there anything I can do short of just letting her rest?

2. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Where did the blood come from? Have you examined the wound? Have you cleaned it?

You need to check the wing for a wound or broken bones...if a wound is there (which is most probable), clean it with a warm betadine solution or warm water and a good antibacterial soap and rinse thoroughly, then apply a good triple antibiotic ointment WITHOUT pain reliever in it, directly to the wound. Bandage it if you can. Vet wrap is good for wings and does not damage the feathers like tape and such.

3. GoAngels

Feb 8, 2010
    Southern California
    I didn't see where the blood came from, but I'm fairly sure it was the wing because I was holding the chick at the time and the chick's wing hit the dog in the face (when she nipped it). I didn't notice anything wrong until I put the chick down and saw three drops of blood. The chick didn't exhibit any other signs of injury and they were already stressed enough so I decided to let it rest. I will examine the wound in the morning.

4. GoAngels

Feb 8, 2010
    Southern California
    How can I tell if there is a broken bone? I felt the area, but there are so many tiny bones that I could easily miss something (there is also dried blood on the wing). The chick can extend her wing normally.

5. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Well I am not a vet by any means but usually if a bone on the wing is broken, you can find it by gently rubbing down the wing edge and each feather base. More than likely there is just a wound there.

Check under her wing near her body, check the underside of the wing. The reason all of this hoopla is so important is that the risk of infection from a dog's nip/bite is high and a young chick/teenager could succumb to it very quickly.

If she is acting normally and you cannot find the wound that caused the blleding. Keep her under observation...and keep checking that wing for a festering spot and etc. If you notice one, you will know where the problem is and it is easier to open, drain, clean and treat.

Good luck with that little girl. And warning...small dogs and sniff tests with chicks is never adviseable. The sudden movement or flapping can result in exactly what happened. You are better acquainting them through a cage at first. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by