Dog not wanting head touched suddenly... *UPDATE: Pg2*

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by NewHopePoultry, Nov 12, 2011.

1. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    Honey is my 17 year old Chihuahua. She has had a few seizures resulting from her running into things (she has a soft spot on her head), she only has a few teeth and she has skin issues (from old age) but other then that, she is healthy. Not major health issues/

Last night I noticed when I touched one side of her head, she kind of flinched, but I didnt think anything of it, she has her moody days and I just thought she didnt want to be touched.
    I noticed it again today and when I looked at her straight on, it seemed like one side of her head (mainly her ear) was lower then the other side.
    Im taking her to the vet Monday, but I want to have a heads up.
    What can cause that?

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  2. OvertheHenHouse

OvertheHenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    San Diego
    Thinking it might be something dental or a foxtail in her ear...
    Good luck!

3. carolinagirl58

carolinagirl58 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Lugoff, SC
    she may have a tooth abscess.

4. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    [email protected]@2four :

Or ear infection.

Im thinking ear infection...Does her ears smell bad? can you look in it and it looks like swollen red cauliflower???​

5. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    tooth ache or ear ache would be my first guesses. Since she has a history of running into things, it's also a possibility that she did that again and has a big bruise on that side.

6. llrumsey

llrumsey Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    I also had a dog that suddenly wouldnt let you touch her head, after a visit to the vet, he found out that there was a sticky weed (dont remember the name) in each of her ears and that it had become inbeded then infected after being removed and sauve put into her ears for a short time everything was alright.

Good luck.

7. Redyre Rotties

Redyre Rotties Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2009
    North Carolina, USA
    This is a SEVENTEEN YEAR OLD DOG. It could be ANYTHING. This deserves a trip to the vet IMMEDIATELY.

8. Tiramisu

Tiramisu Got Mutts

May 3, 2008
    Milan PA
    I would think ear infection, but just a guess. I work at a kennel, and a few days ago a dog had whined when near the left ear/neck was touched, it was the second time so we had the vets check her. She had a bad ear infection.

9. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    Also made me wonder if she is losing eyesight.....so did not see your hand coming and it startled her.

I have a nearly 14 year old shepherd mix.....he is covered in tumors but is an old dog and we are just letting him enjoy his life to the end. He is starting to have the pretty typical old dog weight loss....and I have noticed that one side of his head/face is atrophying and the other is not. No typical stroke symptoms but his right side of his head is way more sunken in than the left. Very strange. He is still happy as can be though (when he's not napping lol).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by