Dog on Killing spree

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by NewHopePoultry, Feb 1, 2008.

1. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    My neighbor has a young pitbull mix. She is very cute and appears to be very shy. Well she has a dark side that she is starting to show.
    About a week ago, she killed another neighbors $360 worth of turkeys.
    We have reason to beleive she is what got ahold of my rooster the next day.
    4 days ago she went after some goats, the owner came out and chased her off. Later that night she killed 4 adult Geese belonging to the guy with the turkeys.
    Today she killed 2 lambs belonging to yet another neighbor.

Since I'm the main dog onwer/lover out here, everyone always calls and ask if I know who the dog belongs too. I tell them, but no one is able to reach the owner of the dog. He is always at work.

Everyone out here can legally shoot the dog since she has been attacking livestock(which includes poultry out here), which I'm afraid is about to happen.
    The owner of the dog never spends time with her. if he had worked with her, I'm sure she would of been a great dog, but now I'm afraid its too late for her.

2. Buster

Buster Back to Work

I know what would happen to a dog like that where I live. It is shameful for a person to get a dog and let it run loose with no training and neglect it like that. Unfortunately, the dog gets the bullet (which is perfectly legal here as well) and the owner doesn't. MY job is to protect MY animals, so to me it doesn't matter who's dog it is- the neighbor should keep his dog contained and should pay for any and all damages to livestock that the dog has caused. [​IMG]

3. DrakeMaiden

DrakeMaiden Overrun with Drakes

Jun 8, 2007
    Kitsap County, WA
    That's awful. Sounds like a meeting of the neighbors is in order.

4. werblessd1s

werblessd1s Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2007
    NORTH FLORIDA
    [​IMG] Those are the people that shouldn't even be allowed to reproduce.
    Luckily, we have animal control here, so no shooting would be neccesary.

5. Dodgegal79

Dodgegal79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2007
    Princeton BC Canada
    Shoot it.

6. NewHopePoultry

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    Theres no animal control out here,which is why someone can shoot the dog legally.

The owner has been talked too and he has agreed to put the dog down.(Which just means that he will shoot it himself)

He has another dog,but he got him as an adult and was already trained, so he is a good dog. its so sad that he let the puppy turn into a killer, I' sure she would of been a great dog if worked with.

7. lizardz

lizardz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Grass Valley, CA
    How sad for the dog. Would the owner be willing to re-home it? Somewhere where it won't be around livestock and hopefully with someone who will spend time with it and love and train it. I have to admit, I have a soft spot for pitts; I volunteered at our animal shelter for a few years, and it seemed like they were the most loveable dogs, always wanting to give kisses and climb in laps. It's a shame so many idiots get them and turn them into bad dogs.

I don't want anyone thinking that I don't feel badly about the livestock that's been killed, because I do. We have livestock too, and I've known many people who have lost animals to roaming dogs, so I sympathize with those that have lost animals, too. It's just a sad situation all the way around.

Liz

8. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    From one dog lover to another:

Shoot it, bury it, forget it. It has already killed animals. It has tasted blood.

You can also catch it and bring it to a shelter FAR away.

Your a*****e neighbor will probably get another so be prepared to repeat
    this. Calling animal control will get you nowhere and may make enemies with
    the neighbor.

9. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Hope that neighbor pays those other neighbors back and takes care of that dog before more damage is done.

10. NewHopePoultry

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    In al honestly, I think in this case its best for the dog to be put down. She supposly barked at the man when he yelled at her to leave his goats alone.
    She has killed more in a week then what dogs do in a life time.
    I dont think it would be fair for her owner to have to try to re-home her. Not very many people will chance taking her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by