dog pee pads??? Aspen chips???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickens? not yet, Jul 25, 2011.

1. chickens? not yet

chickens? not yet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Kingman, AZ.
    Does anyone know or used dog pee pads in the bottom of the brooder before wood chips? Also would Aspen chips be O.K.? Went into lockdown today!! Hope I will need to know this stuff!! [​IMG]

2. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    Plenty of people use puppy pads, rubber shelf liner, paper towels. You could also use compressed pine pellets (Equine Fresh TSC). The pellets are too big for iddy biddys to eat and really absorbent. Aspen chips are perfectly safe for birds.

3. classicsredone

classicsredone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Sacramento County, CA
    I love the wood pellets. There is no stink and they last longer than shavings. Because they don't stink, they end up costing us less than shavings. For really young chicks, I just lay paper towels on top for a few days.

4. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Normally, I would agree with everyone that aspen is safe for birds. However, it is a hardwood and somewhere, I read that you shouldn't use it for chickens. I did, however, use it when my chicks were just a week old. My golden laced cochin went nuts....scratching his head and screaming and rolling around!!! I posted on here and couldn't figure out what the heck was going on. I had previously used pine but ran out and with chinchillas in the basement I always have aspen on hand. I thought, why not? So, in went the aspen. Just as fast, out went the aspen. As soon as the aspen was gone, the chick went back to normal. A couple weeks later, I did the same thing...you would have thought I would have learned my lesson. That same chick started sneezing and wheezing. Out went the aspen. Chick was fine...still is, he is now 14 weeks old. I don't dare get aspen near him. Good luck with your babies [​IMG] They steal your heart [​IMG]

5. chickens? not yet

Jun 21, 2011
    Kingman, AZ.
    Thanks everyone!!![​IMG]

6. GardenState38

GardenState38 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Personally, I've heard more things against pine shavings (containing toxins-phenols- that can affect the respiratory system), than aspen. In fact, this is the first time I've ever heard any negatives associated with aspen, but go figure.
    In the book, "City Chicks", aspen is recommended, as it does not contain the aromatic oils that cedar and pine do and, therefore, is healthier for lungs and respiratory systems.
    Instead of paper towels, I've used wee wee pads on top of the chips for day one. They were very convenient.
    They lay flat and cover a bigger area, so I didn't have to worry about them curling up or shifting. I also use them as the liner beneath the aspen chips.
    The only drawback, of course, is the higher cost.

7. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    I use the pads they make for people, I live in a town with alot of elderly hospitals, and it's easier to get incontiance pads (50/pack for $5) than pet pads in packs of 12. If you've ever had a baby, thier the pink backed pads you lie on in the hospital.

8. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Quote:I know! I would never have thought that aspen would be a problem. I only use aspen on my small animals for the reasons that you listed. Seems the chick didn't like it though...there is always one in a bunch that causes problems [​IMG] In a way, I was glad cause Aspen is double, or more, the money of pine.

I thought about the wee wee pads but I had one concern....with their constant scratching, I was afraid that they would get their little toenails caught in the 'fabric'. Has anyone has a problem like that?

9. CupOJoe42

CupOJoe42 CT Chicken Whisperer

Apr 11, 2011
    I use dog pee pads under paper towels for a few days, and just change the paper towels as they get dirty. Yes, you go thru a lot of paper towels! I've also thrown a regular hand towel in there, but the poop sticks really good and is difficult to wash off.

10. chickens? not yet

Jun 21, 2011
    Kingman, AZ.
    Quote:When I had my kids they put real sheep skin under me!! LOL:old I must check into the people pads my daughter told me to try them with my pup, he goes outside now but if we leave for the day we put them down.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by