Dog perimeter collars

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by mi2bugz, Nov 8, 2013.

1. mi2bugz

mi2bugz Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2013
    Waxahachie, tx
    Does anyone use these or have any recommendations for a brand that works?

We found a "stray" dog and 4 puppies that we took in for a night (neighbors all said not their dog and puppies) then the next day a neighbors wife comes to claim them (the mom was a pregnant stray tgey took in 2 months ago). We turn them over to them since they are theirs. Well the old saying don't feed a stray if you don't want it to stick around was accurate. Since then the mom dog would not stay at her owners house. She was here day/night rain or shine. We didn't feed her after found out neighbors dog and never let her inside. The owners have now given her to us because she obviously wanted to be here more than their house. Because she was a stray and then an outside dog we are having a problem with her staying near our house. She always comes back in 30 mins or so but I don't feel comfortable letting her roam. Any ideas/tips would be greatly appreciated.

~ Nicole

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    We use the 'Invisible Fence' brand and it works well for us. Our neighbors across the street have a human and dog aggressive dog that was coming on our property and threatening to bite/attack. After I suggested that upon actual attack or biting I would shoot their dog, they also invested in Invisible fence. Teddy no longer tries to attack hikers, joggers, bikers or dog walkers. One good shocking was enough to convince him to stay home. We have absolutely no complaints about the system or customer service of this company.

3. mi2bugz

mi2bugz Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2013
    Waxahachie, tx
    Did you use the one that was professionally installed by the invisble fence brand company? Or did you use the DIY one? If you had it professionally installed if you don't mind me asking...how much did that run?

I can't find that brand to DIY :( when I googled it.

4. SunnySkies

SunnySkies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2012
    Maryland
    I have a Petmate Stubborn Dog invisible fence that I installed by myself for my livestock dogs. It works very well, but...and this is HUGE....you MUST train the dogs to it. Otherwise, they don't know what to do when they get zapped, and they can run through it in that case, and then they figure out it won't hold them. Then it won't work. But my dogs -- of a breed prone to wander -- have not shown any signs of wandering since I put the fence in and trained them to it. The fence kit was about $250 on eBay for a two dog, 5 acre set up, and I bought extra wire at Home Depot. I did not care for the wire connectors in the kit so I bought different ones at Ace Hardware. I'm very happy with it.

It does not keep out the neighbor's dogs. That is a problem for some people, and I have treated some dogs that got their rears kicked in their own yards by neighborhood dogs that came into the yard but the victim couldn't escape with the radio collar on.

I wish my neighbors would invest in one, but I know they won't bother training their dogs to it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by