Dog proff coop.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Sama_Lama, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Sama_Lama

Sama_Lama Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2010
    When the roommate moved out and left me with 3 chickens I had no idea what to do, but figured if we were going to keep them we needed to keep them safe. We had a finished shed in our backyard we were using as storage and I figured that would make a perfect coop, but it's in my backyard where my dogs go out to play. I had to make something safe and healthy for the birds but also where they would be unseen, in plain site, from the dogs. The building is 7x12 and the run is 6x12.

First I was worried that the dogs would try to dig under the fence. It wouldn't take much room to grab a hold of a chicken and pull, so we dug holes and put rail road ties under the fence line:
    [​IMG]
    Word to the wise: Don't move all the rr ties 1/2 way one day and expect to be able to move them the rest the next. My arms gave out and the husband had to get creative:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Once that was in we put the chain link fence panels on top and attached corigated metal to the outside. Chickens can't see dogs, dogs can't see chickens!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We made the nesting boxes in sets of 3 to hang on the wall:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We made a few designs for the perches but this is the only one that worked. We still need to make more and taller ones:
    [​IMG]

We have a window on one side with both a regular screen, a metal screen and then I have chicken wire over the window frame so the chickens wouldn't sit in the window and taunt the dogs:
    [​IMG]

All in all it was pretty easy, it stay very clean with the Sand, I don't think i'd ever agree to having chickens without sand bedding anymore. It may not be as creative as some of the others but it keeps the chickens safe!

2. chickensrock98

chickensrock98 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2010
    whittier
    ok first off nice coop but there is no such thing as a dog proof rodent proof any thing proof coop you mite think it is but if one of those dogs wants in he will find a way he will jump that fence or even bite through it yes bite through it. and a coon can reach its arm in and grab a chicken and pull it through that fence good luck just wanted to let you know [​IMG]

3. Sama_Lama

Sama_Lama Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2010
    Thank you for the concern but I can assure you it is dog proof. It has been up and sturdy for over 6 months, however my dogs are not outside dogs and possibly, if you left your dogs out all day long to their own devices they could eventually damage it enough to get in. Dogs are unable to dig under due to the rr ties, jump over due to the height and the lack of ability to get a hold because of the corrugated metal and they can't simply bite through or reach through the metal. It isn't predator prof as I don't have a top on the run yet but it keeps out the dogs.

4. chickensrock98

chickensrock98 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2010
    whittier
    i am not trying to be rude but you may think what you want but i guarantee if one of those dogs really wanted in they could i dont care if the fence is 12 foot high i did not notice the sheet metal you had on the chain link good move but that would not stop a dog or coon from jumping over and you should really look into netting for the top that would help alot by the way nice birds lol [​IMG]

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I like your nest boxes! And your roost!

[​IMG]

6. speedymom

speedymom Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2010
    wow the inside looks so nice and clean! I have also noticed that if the chickens and dog can't see each other, the dog isn't so "visually stimulated" and has actually forgotten how much he wants to eat them. even though he can still smell and hear them. the metal is a great idea, I would have had to go that route if my dog weighed more than 20 pounds. even at his small size he still ripped apart some of my welded wire!! i used that bamboo reed fencing on the inside of my wire to block his vision, its cute but the chickens are pecking it and its already falling apart.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Hmm. lots of nest boxes, lots of room, see a brooder etc. Seems like someone caught the "chicken addiction," way to go.

8. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Quote:A bit overly pessimistic but sometimes the best laid plans have a flaw someplace. While dogs can be determined--I suspect since the dogs can't see the birds they will be less apt to be interested in them anyway--usually dogs go for birds because of the bird's actions. As far as coons, they would be hard put to climb that metal fencing.

9. kidsnchicks

kidsnchicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2010
    I think it looks great, and being that the dogs aren't outside 24/7 Im sure it will all be fine. I love your coop, its pretty spacey compared to my cramped little one,lol. Good job!

10. laughaha

laughaha Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Very Very VERY good job!!!!!!!!!!!!

ChickensRock98- you may not have been trying to be rude, but you came off as very rude and pessimistic. I don't know many dogs that could jump 6' to get over the corrugated metal and the OP did say that they were going to put a top on the pen so EVEN IF something could jump that high it still wouldn't be able to get in.

I think you got about as bear/bomb proof as humanely possible without adding electric fence (which you don't need). VERY VERY NICE!!

Nice coop- my only suggestion is the placement of the brooder. It looks like it has a nesting box right above the light fixture. This is a possible fire hazard if the chickens go in that nest box and scratch a whole bunch of the sawdust out onto the light or when jumping down from that nesting box they may accidentally land on the light and wreck your setup and possibly start a fire. My only suggestion to your AWESOME setup is to move the brooder to a different wall.

Oh and I love the way you put the corrugated metal fence all the way around your yard in addition to the chicken pen. Looks great.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by