Dog proof run?

Roosterboy

Songster
11 Years
Oct 28, 2008
I have a large lab. He is a beautiful dog. But, he is a bird dog and loves to bark and chase. Not kill. He is a bit clumsy and runs into fences while chasing squirrels. I am afraid he might want to eat any poor poultry i get. :thun How can i dogproof a run? An ark?

I was kinda looking for a DIY option like a barrier

But thanks
clap.gif

The underground fence is very DIY, but if you don't want to go that route, there are other options. First of all, chicken wire won't keep him out. You need 2x4 livestock fencing along with hardware cloth. You will put the hardware cloth 2 feet high around the bottom of the run with the 2x4 fencing around the top part of the run. You also need to make sure the hardware cloth is buried in the ground to prevent digging. I have done this with my run and still plan to put concrete (kind of like a thin sidewalk) all the way around the outside perimeter of the run. Here's a pic of one side of my run to give you an idea about what I'm trying to say.

DSC02689.jpg

gumpsgirl is right on with her advice.

I just wanted to add that I know several dogs that have run right through their invisible fence because they wanted what was on the other side so badly.

Can't agree more with Gumpsgirl about burying the wire to prevent digging! Both the dog, and the chickens will eventually break through in this way, if nothing prevents it. Btw, kudos on the very secure run!

The electric fence is also good unless you have kids. That would not go well here, so I am going to go the concrete route along with what already had been shown to you.

Back
Top Bottom