Dog punctured her! what can I do for her?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by my5hens, Feb 11, 2012.

1. my5hens

my5hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    My girls snuck out of their coop today and my golden retriever got after one of them. It was my Corabell, my best layer! Thank God he didnt kill her but he did puncture her back. She bled a little. The puncture doesnt look too bad, I cleaned it up and held her for a while. He scared her so bad she was shaking [​IMG]. How should I treat her boo boo? I just left it alone for now.....

Thanks!

2. LadyinRed

LadyinRed Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2009
    Clean the wound thoroughly with mild soap and warm but not hot water and make sure you don't see any feathers inside it, In my experience wounds tend to be perfect places for feathers to get pulled off and shoved into. Dogs have pretty dirty mouths so infection is something to worry about. Cleanliness is your friend.

Dry the wound thoroughly by patting it, don't rub it if possible.
    apply neosporin without pain relief. And if there is any blood or any way for the other chickens to see it... Keep her separated from the rest of the flock. Chickens love to eat chicken.

You may want to consider giving her some boiled egg also to make sure she eats well since she probably wont be feeling that great and may act lethargic. In that case also separate her because she could get bullied away from the food by the others.

I've had a hen lose about 40% of the skin on her upper thigh to a dog attack and she lived but she needed lots of TLC.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by