Dog question - kind of emergency

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by pbjmaker, May 18, 2011.

1. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    So my female dog is in heat. We rotate who is out - she is locked away or my male is locked away. Very diligent about this. She is never outside unsupervised etc. Anywho - we have two NEUTERED male dogs (10 months old) and one of them just caught her and they are connected. How did this happen?

He has no spherical male parts, so I'm not sure what would cause it.

2. Kassaundra

Kassaundra Sonic screwdrivers are cool!

Sep 1, 2010
    Henryetta
    I would call the vet who neutered him and ask.

3. Whitewinterwolf

Whitewinterwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Quote:Well, I am going to put this simple.
    A male is a male. If they think there going to get some, they will! Haha, ok serious time...
    They still have the instinct to mate, even though there testicles are gone, the instinct is still there, only dulled.
    Just keep an eye on your girl, because on rare occasional they can develop an infection. Very rare, so dont panic about it ^^
    Just keep them all separate to prevent any further accidents. ^^ Its not really anything you should be worried about, he is still neutered, just probably overly eager then most XD

Last edited: May 18, 2011
  4. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Completely normal. I have two early neutered boys and they go crazy over friend's spayed female, all these years later. [​IMG]

I asked my vet, who is a pretty good one - he shrugged and said sometimes it happens. I told him how helpful he was! LOVE my vet, lol.

Apparently the scent still triggers them. [​IMG]

5. SmittenWithDucks

SmittenWithDucks Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2009
    Lockhart, TX
    Neutered males can still breed and tie females. They just don't have the 'testes' to produce sperm.

How long has it been since they were neutered? Reason I ask is that there is some 'carry over' after neutering when they still have 'swimmers'! Several weeks but not sure exactly how long.

6. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    Quote:He was neutered January 11 and his brother was neutered last Novemember. I called my vet and she said no worries just to keep an eye on the male until tomorrow because he wasn't willing to walk around at first and is still pretty stiff legged. The look on his face is priceless right now [​IMG] A combanation of sad and shock.

7. Redyre Rotties

Redyre Rotties Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2009
    North Carolina, USA
    haha. I have seen a few castrated dogs who thought they were pretty hot stud dogs. No worries for your girl, but do keep a close eye on your intact boy. [​IMG]

8. areyoumymother

areyoumymother Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    I have heard that IF the dog was neutered at a very young age then they basically don't have the drive because they 'don't know what they are missing'.....but....If the male dog was neutered at a later time and has had 'contact' with a female in heat prior to being neutered then the drive will kick in when needed ...but...still totally harmless.

9. welsummerchicks

welsummerchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    They don't care if they're shooting blanks.

10. areyoumymother

areyoumymother Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    Quote:exactly...its all about the drive not the equipment

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by