Dog Questions!!!!!!!!!

chickenlover09

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 17, 2014
Hi everyone! I'm getting a dog by the end of the year and have a few questions. I would like as MANY replies as possible, I need lots of answers.

1) What dog food do you reccomend? The dog will probably be a mix, australian, or german shepherd. Wet or dry or both?

2) How soon should I take the dog to the vet after I get it? The same day, a day after, a week after?

3) What do you prefer, boy or girl dogs? I am a girl, my boy bunny seems to like me better than my girl bunny, but i'm sure that's different with dogs. I'd like a dog that will follow me around, sleeps in my bed, but will be okay when i'm not home.

4) I filled out an application for the rescue (but I removed all the personal stuff), and can you be honest with me and tell me if you think I will get accepted or not. All the information is the truth. It's for a german shepherd rescue by the way.
Here's my questions and answers for the application

1) What kind of home do you have? House

2)Do you own or rent your home? Own

3)Do you have a yard? Yes

4) Is the yard completely fenced in? Yes

5) What kind of dog are you looking for? A young dog between the ages of 1-4, preferably longhair, semi- active.

6)Where will the dog be housed during the day? Both Inside and Outside.

7) Do you have a doggy door? No

8) How many hours a day will the dog spend alone? Someone will always be home, but at the most, 2 hours.

9) How do you plan on excercising your dog? 2 walks a day 45 minutes-1 hour each, weekly hikes, and weekly runs on the beach.

10) Where will the dog sleep at night? the dog will sleep inside in a doggie bed or on the couch.

11) Why are you choosing a german shepherd? I love the breed, I love how big they are, I love how they are very loyal and smart.

12)Are you willing to take your dog to obedience class, private or group? Yes, I will mainly take the dog to group lessons so he can interact with other dogs and learn from the too, but if he needs private lessons, than private lessons.

13) If your dog were injured or ill, are you willing to take him to the vet and are you financially able to? Yes.

14) Is there any reason you would give up your dog? No. Getting a dog is a commitment that I have built up to. I would never give up a living thing for my personal reasons.

15) How many dogs do you currently have? 0

I'm sorry for the long post, but any advice would be greatly appreciated.

a lot of these things are personal preferences I dont think there is a right or wrong for some.

1) dry food, whats good for some might not be good for others. Blue Buffalo is pretty good.

2)a dog from a rescue should be tested and clean, I would take the first appointment you could get but its nothing you should have to worry about too much.

3)I only have girl dogs because they have more belly to rub, no nasty surprises. She will be fixed from a rescue so no mess to worry about. My girls are always by my side.

4) I dont see any answers that I would consider red flags, nothing that would make me nervous about you taking one of my pups.

Yes this will be my first dog. Also, what breed do you think is better at agility and tricks, australin shepherd or german shepherd?

Thanks.
I watched some amazing australian shepherd agility and trick videos. They are smaller than german shepherds, so I guess it's a little easier for them to do fancy tricks.

There's an AMAZING German Shepherd rescue near where I live, so that would be easiest, but I want to find a breed for what I plan on doing.

Thanks again for the help everyone!

I agree with Alldembirds, most of your questions are preferences.

1) I give mine Nutro Ultra for adults.

2) I've worked at an animal shelter, and they screen all dogs for health issues. Be sure to ask prior to adopting if the dog has any health concerns. If you decide to purchase a dog anywhere else, I recommend getting the dog screened for any health concerns, but since you are getting a rescue it shouldn't be an issue.

3) In my experience, female dogs are easier to house train and teach the 'recall' command. I currently have a girl dog, and she is my constant shadow.

4) Your application responses sound good, you are a shoe-in to be green-lighted to adopt a dog.

As for what breed is better at agility trials and tricks, the Australian Shepard is better than a German Shepard. Border Collies dominate agility competitions and are the most intelligent dog breed. Good luck with the adoption process, and be sure to keep us updated on when you get your dog.

We have a mutt. The dad (so they say and it seems like it) was border collie, mom was a lab mix. She is almost ten now and she is the most amazing dog ever (totally not biased at all! Lol). We have tried a few foods with her. Make sure there is no corn and read the ingredients. Don't get your dog food with tons if ingredients you can't understand. If you don't know what it is, don't buy it.... It's processed junk. I have a few friends who make there dogs food. They do meat and veggies, so that's always an option. I for one think it's best to get a mutt unless it's a working dog for some spacific reason, but that's me, I know many people like pure breed, I'm just not into that. German sheaperds are great, but can be extreamly aggressive, even with training, but that depends a lot on the dog. We had one growing up, we did everything the trainer and breeder suggested, they finally were just like, it's him, we can't really do much. He was great with us, just not anyone else. I think girls tend to be more mellow and I don't think we will ever have a boy dog. Girls don't pee on everything like boys, they tend not to be as aggressive (again depends on the dog) and they don't have "the lipstick thing" as my husband says, when you rub them or they just want it to all hang out.... Yuck! Lol. If you own your home, I think that's a huge thing shelters like to hear. The dog is in a stable home. My husband got are dog (I met him when she was almost two) he rented, worked and was single. He was able to get Ruby from the animal shelter. So I think your fine. You should go to a local pet store and start looking and asking about food and ask spacificly for dogs in the size group you are looking at. Start asking for good vets in the area so when you get your dog you know who to call to make the first appointment. The vet can also reccommend good foods. Some animals have more sensitive tummys (cough, cough.... MY DOG), wait a week for them to adjust to the food, but if doesn't go well, try another. We had to do that with are dog AND cat! Good luck on the new dog. Post pictures when you get him/her. I'm sad are dog is almost ten, my friend just had to put down her 14 year old dog and it's bringing reality to are dogs age. She gets lots if excersize and good food though. People still always think she's a puppy with her look, how active and agile she is and how playful with other dogs! An active dog is great for you and for your dog. Keeps everyone young and fit ;)

They don't have "the lipstick thing"
gig.gif

I agree, mutts make great pets. They tend to be healthier and have less behavior issues. My shelter got an influx of aggressive golden retrievers due to poor breeding lines and possibly lack of training.

Alice28 brought up a great point, make sure you slowly ween the dog off the shelter food and slowly introduce the food you want them to eat. I have seen dogs become close death because of sudden changes in diet. One dog had to go on a strict diet of boiled rice and chicken, rice cakes and vitamins for the rest of her life.

Last edited:
Yes this will be my first dog. Also, what breed do you think is better at agility and tricks, australin shepherd or german shepherd?
Honestly, being your first dog, I wouldn't recommend either breed. Both are very high energy and require experienced handling. I would be surprised if the German Shepherd rescue would consider you based on this being your first dog. I would recommend going to a shelter and spend some time with dogs there. You will probably find one that suits you perfectly! I commend you for looking at rescues too! Very nice of you.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom