Dog Recommendation with Chickens Help Please

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by SunshineShack, Aug 23, 2018.

1. SunshineShack

SunshineShack Hatching

Aug 23, 2018
    HI Everyone,
    I am new to backyard chickens and could use some help! I am looking for a family puppy recommendation. I have free range chickens, a few ducks and goats. I do not need a live stock guardian as I am afraid to have that with my young child. I want something that is all around a good family dog but will also leave my chickens alone. I know training will be involved and I am open to suggestions on how to do that so my girls (chickens) can stay happy and healthy. I am not looking for super high energy and I don't want something that might jump the fence and killl the neighbors dog. I am on 10 acres about 2 is fenced pasture that keeps everybody in. Thoughts and suggestions appreciated. :)

Eryniel and Kessel23 like this.
  2. RollTideChicken

RollTideChicken Songster

Mar 21, 2017
    North Alabama
    I've had excellent luck with my beagle. Very good family dog and has even learned to help me herd the chickens when needed. Oh and he has no aggression towards my flock at all.

3. Cyprus

Cyprus Master of the 'never give up' attitude

Jan 19, 2018
    My Coop
    First and foremost steer well away from ANY type of bird dog, hunting dog, or terrier.
    Worst breeds with chickens:
    1. Siberian Husky
    2. German Shepherd
    3. Greyhound (and pretty much all sighthounds)
    4. German Shorthaired Pointer
    5. Jack Russel Terrier
    6. Collies (all kinds)
    7. Retrievers (all kinds)
    I have found that the good-all Mutt usually does well. That being said, here is a list of breeds that I have observed to be good around poultry
    1. Great Pyrenese
    2. Pug
    3. Mastiffs
    4. Bulldogs
    5. St. Bernards
    6. Poodles
    The best all-around dog, IMO, is the Great Pyranese. It is great with families, a fantastic guard dog, and can be well trained.

mominoz and Chick-N-Fun like this.
  4. HenHouse4Life

HenHouse4Life GrandmaOnDuty

Mar 22, 2016
    Mid Michigan
    The truth of the matter is any dog can be trained...and yes, that involves a LOT of work if you're going to do it correctly. What dogs are you comfortable around? We raise German Shepherds and have NEVER had ANY problems with them...with children, people, livestock or anything of that nature, including chickens. Too many breeds have a bad reputation. Choose the breed that you and your family are comfortable with.

5. Kylo_Hen!

Kylo_Hen! Songster

Jun 28, 2018
    show the puppy that the chickens are part of the pack and show the chickens to the puppy and make the chickens part of the puppys life and try not to make the chickens of intrest to the dog

6. Rachel Taylor

Rachel Taylor Crowing

Aug 17, 2017
    Virginia
    Most any dog can be trained around chickens. Some will be harder to train then others. I have a German Shepherd and a yellow border collie that we’re not allowed near the chickens at first but after training they walk right by them like they’re not even there. Actually my border collie likes hanging out with them a little bit from time to time. Just sit there watching them. I have no thought in my mind they would make any false moves. Yes definitely took some training but luckily my dogs aren’t as hardheaded as others

7. Rachel Taylor

Rachel Taylor Crowing

Aug 17, 2017
    Virginia
    I think since you’re looking to start out with the puppy you might have better luck. Growing up around then maybe will be easier to train them since they’re still young

Kessel23 likes this.
  8. RollTideChicken

RollTideChicken Songster

Mar 21, 2017
    North Alabama
    Puppies learn real fast from grown chickens. My beagle respects my birds mainly because he got a few pecks and some flogging as a pup.

Eryniel, HenHouse4Life and Kessel23 like this.
  9. Rachel Taylor

Rachel Taylor Crowing

Aug 17, 2017
    Virginia
    I noticed you said you have goats. That was something I had issues with. My dog has learned to stay within a 20 foot radius away from them after getting a good head but. It may not be a problem if the dog is a puppy and smaller So the goats might not feel as threatened. My dogs for a full grown when I got my goats. There still smaller than the goats but not much

Kessel23 likes this.
  10. Kessel23

Kessel23 Hi Bug

Feb 6, 2018
    Hi Hannah
    Like several others have pointed out, ANY dog can be great with chickens if trained properly. I breed German Shepherds, we have 13 adults and they were not raised with our chickens or even around them, all of them never attack the chickens, even when left alone, I have done little to none chicken training with most of them and they just don't attack because I don't attack. I have had to yell at some of the older girls a few times before they realized what was up. Most hunting dogs are very intelligent and easily trained to be nice with chickens, but then again, so is nearly every other breed. If you want a dog to protect them then get a big dog, if you want a dog that just won't attack them then you can get whatever you want.
    It can be very easy to train some dogs and others just take a little extra work, even within the same breed, earlier this summer I still had a few studs that would attack the chickens that snuck into the kennel but with a little extra work they are all fine now.

Eryniel and HenHouse4Life like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: